- ISTOOK: IRS “wants to throw us in jail,” says tea party leader
- Easter woes: Chocolate costs soar, becoming ‘unaffordable’ luxury
- Michaels craft chain confirms hackers hit 3M customers
- Special Forces’ suicide rates hit record levels — casualties of ‘hard combat’
- Many Americans would quickly face financial hardship after losing job, poll shows
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford thanks supporters at re-election campaign bash
- Texas seizes polygamist Warren Jeffs’ 1,600-acre ranch
- Publisher unveils Hillary Clinton’s new memoir — ‘Hard Choices’
- Britain’s Labour Party hires David Axelrod — but can’t spell his name
- Washington and Lee law students demand ban on Confederate flag, say Gen. Lee was racist
Times Square ball has new crystals to mark 2013
NEW YORK (AP) - The Waterford crystal ball that will drop in Times Square to usher in 2013 will have 288 new crystal panels with doves chiseled into them to mark the theme "Let There Be Peace."
The triangular panels replace 288 old ones on the 2,668-panel ball.
The Irish crystal company says organizers are doing something special this year: People are invited to send in their personal messages of peace via social media.
Some messages will be read during a live webcast. The rest will be posted on the Internet.
More than 1 billion people are expected to see the New Year's Eve festivities in telecasts and newscasts.
Ryan Seacrest will host the countdown to midnight, with musical guests including Taylor Swift, Carly Rae Jepsen, Neon Trees, Flo Rida and Pitbull.
TWT Video Picks
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
- Immigration still on hold: Boehner's office
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- Supreme Court weighs appeal to concealed-carry gun laws
- Prosecutors seek arrest warrant for ferry captain in South Korea
- PRUDEN: When a bored president just 'mails it in'
- With pot and e-cigarettes, Big Tobacco is just waiting to inhale emerging markets
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- CBO shows it's Paul Ryan 4, Obama 0 on budget targeting
- CARSON: Recovering Tocqueville's vision of American exceptionalism
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.