- ‘Gay Jeans’ that fade into rainbow-colored denim created
- Divided court strikes down big porn award
- Jimmy Carter: Don’t hurt Russian people with sanctions
- Oldest ex-MLB player dies in Cuba, 2 days shy of 103rd birthday
- ‘Top Gun’ for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy’s approval
- Bill Clinton to endorse Charlie Rangel for re-election
- Pfc. Bradley Manning is now Pfc. Chelsea Manning: Court says so
- Secret base U.S. special forces used to train Libyans now under terrorist control: report
- 9th suspect in N.C. kidnapping turns self in to FBI
- L.A. sheriff admits to testing flyover spy program without notifying residents
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: End war on Jesus
We often hear about the “war on Christmas” and efforts to erase all references to Jesus from our culture. This determination increases each year, and children in the future may lose all knowledge of the true meaning of Christmas.
I am confused. What annoys so many people about Jesus and the historical account of his earthly life? The following are some of the facts for individuals who are offended by references to Jesus:
Jesus was born homeless, and he came from the impoverished city of Nazareth.
Jesus grew up in a low-income household and was a carpenter.
Jesus had no university degrees and spent his life serving others.
Jesus was a champion of women’s and children’s rights during a time when both groups were treated as second-class citizens.
Jesus embraced individuals with disabilities, and he worked to help people with leprosy and other infirmities when society had cast them out.
Jesus initiated some of the first food banks and fed thousands of hungry people.
Jesus was a peace activist, and he wielded no weapons.
Jesus was a revolutionary who challenged the ruling government and religious hierarchy.
Jesus was arrested, charged falsely and killed by the ruling class because he was arming common citizens with truth and teaching them to love and respect one another.
What exactly is so offensive about this man? Maybe if, during the Christmas season, our world were to embrace Jesus, we could end the violence and evil that has so infected our society.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Obama's veil of secrecy is pierced
Get Breaking Alerts
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Obama avoids 'red line' for China; prepared to impose tougher sanctions on Russia
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- Kansas will nullify local regulation of guns
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- Brain surgery victim struggles with Obamacare: 'It's scary'
- Protesters, police clash in Philippines ahead of Obama visit
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend