- ‘I Am Alive’ app gains popularity in terror-ravaged Lebanon
- Gun giveaways gain popularity among Republican candidates
- S.C. hospital worker slapped with $525 federal fine for refilling $0.89 soda
- Teen from ‘Jihad Jane’ plot becomes youngest ever to serve time on U.S. terror charges
- Iranian woman forgives son’s killer at the gallows
- Nebraska principal sorry for ‘don’t tattle’ flier
- Illinois readies to spend $100M for Obama museum in Chicago
- John Edwards back in court — this time as a lawyer for Va. boy’s malpractice case
- Covered California reports more than 200K in overtime Obamacare sign-ups
- Thanks, Chuck: Hagel says U.S. sending Ukraine sleeping mats, helmets
Jets bench Sanchez, will start McElroy vs Chargers
He might not even be the backup.
Rex Ryan decided to bench Sanchez on Tuesday in favor of Greg McElroy after the fourth-year quarterback had another miserable performance in a 14-10 loss at Tennessee on Monday night that eliminated New York from playoff contention.
“I think it’s best for our team, and for this game,” Ryan said during a conference call.
So, it’ll be McElroy under center for his first NFL start when the Jets (6-8) play the San Diego Chargers at home Sunday. Ryan hasn’t decided whether Sanchez or Tim Tebow _ listed as the No. 2 quarterback _ will be the backup.
“I have to look at what I think is the best for the team and not necessarily the individual,” Ryan said. “I’ll say this about Tim and I’ve always said it: I know he wants to help this team be successful in the worst way and there’s no doubt about that.”
Things got worse after the game for Sanchez, who received a series of death threats from one disgruntled fan on Twitter. League spokesman Greg Aiello said the NFL’s security staff was aware of the man’s threats and was working with the Jets to assist on the matter. The team declined comment through a spokesman.
“He respected my decision,” Ryan said. “That’s not easy, that’s for sure.”
“This is my opinion, and I do believe that it’s best for our team that Greg is our quarterback,” Ryan insisted. “I’m the guy that’s making this decision. Every decision I make is based on what I believe is the best decision for the team.”
“I can answer this question a million ways, frontward, backward, sideways, anything else,” Ryan said. “It’s my decision and I based it on a gut feeling or whatever.”
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
- Obama taunts GOP, takes nationally televised victory lap on Obamacare
- Joe Biden's first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- Cliven Bundy's Nevada ranch wrecked by retreating feds
- CURL: The state of the Union worse than you thought
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers 'more deadly than jihadists'
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.