- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
- U.N. rights chief: Flight MH17 downing possible war crime
Lionel Messi extends contract with Barcelona through 2018
Question of the Day
BARCELONA, Spain — Lionel Messi agreed to a new contract with Barcelona on Tuesday that will keep him with the Spanish powerhouse through 2018.
The 25-year-old Messi, a three-time world player of the year, has 90 goals so far in 2012, surpassing Gerd Mueller's 40-year-old record of 85 in a calendar year.
Xavi Hernandez and Carles Puyol also agreed to new deals with the team.
Messi, whose contract was due to expire on June 30, 2016, extended his commitment to the club to June 30, 2018, Barcelona said in a statement.
Puyol and Xavi extended theirs to June 2016.
"This news means that FC Barcelona has secured its ties with three of its most important players," the statement said, adding that the contracts would be signed "over the course of the next few weeks."
Puyol, the 34-year-old captain, had said he wants to continue his professional career until he's 40, although he said he didn't want to "have to drag myself onto the field."
Messi scored his 22nd double of 2012, and his sixth in six games, when Barcelona beat Atletico Madrid 4-1 on Sunday, opening up a nine-point lead over its closest rival in the Spanish league.
Relying on the Argentina forward's uncanny ability to puncture defenses, Barcelona has attained a Spanish-league record start of 15 victories in 16 rounds.
Barcelona was also still in contention in the Champions League and Copa del Rey.
By Scott Pinsker
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Babson College, BYU win top spots in Money magazine's college rankings
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- White House defends Kerry failure to broker Middle East cease-fire
- White House says Russia 'losing' war in Ukraine
- Romney would win popular vote in rematch against Obama: CNN poll - Washington Times#.U9ZSgi7-CXU.twi
- Ohio sheriff sends bill to Mexico for cost of jailing illegals
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq