- NYT’s David Brooks: Obama has ‘manhood problem’ in Middle East
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Signs of the unbalanced
As a gun owner, I know and understand the rights and feelings that owning a gun gives the ordinary citizen. However, it isn’t the criminals whom I and the rest of America should fear. It’s the teenagers and young adults, these social misfits with psychological problems, whom Americans should fear the most.
This unbalanced subgroup of the population should be easily recognizable by now, but we as a society continue to deny they have problems. We hope they will grow out of it and we look at their behavior as the product of awkwardness, social shyness or just plain quirkiness. Yet those close to them fail to see what’s going on. They don’t ask the right questions or spend enough time with them, or they just look away and hope for the best.
Parents, teachers and friends of young people with these traits need to have real conversations with their school advisers, friends, counselors and anyone else who can shed some light on these children’s behaviors and tendencies.
Sadly, it has become all too clear that members of this subgroup commit 99 percent of these horrific crimes in America year after year, and with increasing frequency. Americans should wake up and realize that gun control starts at home. Those who live with a disturbed individual should remove the gun temptation while getting the young person some real help.
Lake Mary, Fla.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
Get Breaking Alerts
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- USAID documents cite Hillary Clinton in chaos of Afghan aid
- EXCLUSIVE: FBI blocked in corruption probe involving Sens. Reid, Lee
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Study: Children fare better in traditional mom-dad families
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'