- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- Mississippi abortion law can’t be enforced
- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in case vs. ‘American Sniper’ author Chris Kyle
- Middle Eastern firm’s deal to manage U.S. cargo port raises security concerns
- Bob McDonnell’s defense: Lonely wife developed ‘crush’ on CEO
- Chinese hackers stole ‘huge quantities’ of sensitive data on Israel’s Iron Dome
- House Republicans unveil bill to speed deportations of border children
- Californians protest middle school for hiring white man to teach cultural studies
- Killer’s sentencing overturned because mother couldn’t find seat in courtroom
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Signs of the unbalanced
Question of the Day
As a gun owner, I know and understand the rights and feelings that owning a gun gives the ordinary citizen. However, it isn’t the criminals whom I and the rest of America should fear. It’s the teenagers and young adults, these social misfits with psychological problems, whom Americans should fear the most.
This unbalanced subgroup of the population should be easily recognizable by now, but we as a society continue to deny they have problems. We hope they will grow out of it and we look at their behavior as the product of awkwardness, social shyness or just plain quirkiness. Yet those close to them fail to see what’s going on. They don’t ask the right questions or spend enough time with them, or they just look away and hope for the best.
Parents, teachers and friends of young people with these traits need to have real conversations with their school advisers, friends, counselors and anyone else who can shed some light on these children’s behaviors and tendencies.
Sadly, it has become all too clear that members of this subgroup commit 99 percent of these horrific crimes in America year after year, and with increasing frequency. Americans should wake up and realize that gun control starts at home. Those who live with a disturbed individual should remove the gun temptation while getting the young person some real help.
Lake Mary, Fla.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Get Breaking Alerts
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- Inside the Beltway: Immigration rage festers on all sides
- Obama's brother wears Hamas scarf bearing anti-Israel slogans in photo
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Obama: 'Not a new Cold War,' but new Russia sanctions announced
- Hillary Clinton: I was indeed 'dead broke,' but shouldn't have said so