- ‘I Am Alive’ app gains popularity in terror-ravaged Lebanon
- Gun giveaways gain popularity among Republican candidates
- S.C. hospital worker slapped with $525 federal fine for refilling $0.89 soda
- Teen from ‘Jihad Jane’ plot becomes youngest ever to serve time on U.S. terror charges
- Iranian woman forgives son’s killer at the gallows
- Nebraska principal sorry for ‘don’t tattle’ flier
- Illinois readies to spend $100M for Obama museum in Chicago
- John Edwards back in court — this time as a lawyer for Va. boy’s malpractice case
- Covered California reports more than 200K in overtime Obamacare sign-ups
- Thanks, Chuck: Hagel says U.S. sending Ukraine sleeping mats, helmets
Briefly: Nelson Mandela spends 12th day in hospital
JOHANNESBURG — Anti-apartheid icon Nelson Mandela spent a 12th day in a South African hospital after being diagnosed with a lung infection and undergoing gallstone surgery.
South Africa’s government has said Mr. Mandela, 94, was admitted Dec. 8 to a hospital in the country’s capital, Pretoria.
Officials said Mr. Mandela underwent an endoscopic surgery to remove gallstones Saturday after doctors treated him for a recurrent lung infection.
On Tuesday, President Jacob Zuma said in a statement that Mr. Mandela required “extraordinary care” because of his age and could spend several more days in the hospital recovering.
Mr. Mandela is revered for being a leader of the struggle against racist white rule in South Africa, serving 27 years in prison for his beliefs. He served one five-year term as president before retiring from public life.
DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF CONGO
U.N.: 126 rape cases amid Congo fighting
KINSHASA — The United Nations says at least 126 cases of rape took place in eastern Congo last month.
U.N. spokesman Martin Nesirky said two Congolese soldiers so far have been arrested in connection with the violence.
Preliminary investigations have accused Congolese army soldiers of committing rapes, looting and other human rights violations in Minova and surrounding villages.
The violence took place in late November after soldiers retreated from the city of Goma after it was captured by the M23 rebels.
Rape has long been used as a brutal weapon of war in eastern Congo, where soldiers and various armed groups use sexual violence to intimidate, punish and control the population.
5 Indian sailors kidnapped off coast
JOHANNESBURG — Gunmen stormed a tanker ship off the coast of Nigeria’s oil-rich southern delta, ransacking the vessel and kidnapping five Indian sailors in the latest attack targeting foreign workers in the volatile region, a shipping company said Wednesday.
TWT Video Picks
By Joy Overbeck
Redemption by government is futile
- Joe Biden's first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
- Obama taunts GOP, takes nationally televised victory lap on Obamacare
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Cliven Bundy's Nevada ranch wrecked by retreating feds
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- Atheists rush to stage Easter display: 'Jesus Christ is a myth'
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.