- U.N. condemns Israel, U.S. for not sharing Iron Dome with Hamas
- Eric Cantor says he’ll resign on Aug. 18
- Ted Nugent slams ‘lying freaks’ at liberal media: I’m ‘doing God’s work’
- Joe Biden’s secret love: Skinny-dipping, Secret Service agents say
- Just-forged Israel-Hamas cease-fire ends in rocket fire
- Obama military downsizing leaves U.S. too weak to counter global threats, panel finds
- Sen. Tom Coburn vows to slow down budget-busting bills ahead of recess
- Obama fantasizes about more executive power, signs new order on federal contractors
- Clintons call Klein, Halper, Kessler ‘a Hat Trick of despicable actors’: report
- Boehner accuses Obama of ‘legacy of lawlessness’
La Scala chorus strike forces ballet cancellation
Question of the Day
MILAN (AP) - La Scala has canceled the inaugural ballet of its season because of a strike by the chorus.
The opera house announced `’with regret” that the Wednesday opening of `’Romeo et Juliette” has been called off. The theater said the chorus was seeking extra pay for being required to participate in a segment of the ballet.
The chorus spent longer periods on stage during the recent season-opener of the opera `’Lohengrin,” but the singers argue that the national contract includes provisions for participating on stage in operas, but not ballets.
The one-day strike is not expected to affect future performances.
The strike comes on the heels of complaints by dancers that the stage, including an additional platform for `’Romeo et Juliette,” is slightly slanted. No formal labor action has been taken.
TWT Video Picks
Both parties recognize the Democrats' scam
- Inside the Ring: Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- PRUDEN: Cooling the manufactured impeachment panic
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- 'Big Bang' star Mayim Bialik helps send bulletproof vests to IDF
- Congress leaves Obama holding the burden of border children
- Just-forged Israel-Hamas 3-day cease-fire ends in rocket fire
- Islamic militants seize Benghazi as U.S. evacuates Libya
- 3 African leaders cancel trip to U.S. over Ebola outbreak; Obama still plans summit
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world