- Al Sharpton, Trayvon Martin’s parents rally against Fla. ‘stand your ground’ law
- Hillary Clinton campaign got illicit funds from D.C. scandal figure
- Obama administration backs off plan to cut prescription-drug program
- Tickets linked to stolen passports purchased by Iranian middleman
- More than 3,500 police planned for Boston Marathon
- Ottawa day care suspends 2-year-old for ‘outside’ cheese sandwich
- Liam Neeson tells NYC mayor to ‘man up’ in horse carriage fight
- Real-life Dr. Doolittle to reveal how to talk to animals
- Climate change could bring back smallpox, researchers say
- Shoe-bomb witness to speak from London at N.Y. trial
Letterman up for jabs with Kennedy Center Honors
Mr. Plant told The Associated Press he plans to continue traveling the world and wants to make new music along the way.
“If anybody wants to write some new songs, I’m game to write songs,” he said.
Mr. Hoffman was honored for charting his own path after taking a junior-college class in acting that “nobody ever flunks.”Miss Streep said it became a pilgrimage, with Mr. Hoffman waiting tables and typing for the Yellow Pages.
“He’d do anything if it meant at night he could find himself on the stage,” she said.
Glenn Close toasted him for defining the character actor as leading man and as an artist who insisted on setting the highest standards for himself.
President Bill Clinton saluted Mr. Guy, the Chicago bluesman who was born into a family of sharecroppers with no electricity or running water in Louisiana. He went on to pioneer the use of distortion and feedback with his electric guitar.
Miss Makarova quickly made her debut with the American Ballet Theatre and later was the first exiled artist to return to the Soviet Union before its fall to dance with the Kirov Ballet.
“Dave and I have a history,” she said. “I have been a guest on his show several times, and if you include references to my pantsuits, I’m on at least once a week.”
The crowd of artists and entertainers gave Mrs. Clinton a standing ovation as she hosted her final salute to the nation’s artists as secretary of state.
Kennedy Center Chairman David Rubenstein gave her a subtle nudge to run for president in 2016, saying there’s another room at the State Department to name after a secretary who later becomes president.
TWT Video Picks
By David Keene
Conference showed that the values Reagan cherished still endure
- Hillary Clinton campaign received funds from Jeffrey Thompson
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Unanimous Senate passes bill on military sex assault to give victims more say in prosecution
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- Atheists sue to remove 'Ground Zero Cross' from 9/11 museum
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Sharyl Attkisson resigns from CBS after months of talks
- Mitch McConnell on beating tea party: 'We are going to crush them'
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again