- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
- U.N. warns of Muslim ‘cleansing’ in Central African Republic
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Drug mix may have cured child born with HIV, doctors say
- De Blasio’s wife irks former mansion chef with ‘servant’ remark
- Russia’s neighbors shiver amid Putin’s Cold War moves in Ukraine
- New SAT: The essay portion is to become optional
- Military group can’t march to honor the fallen at Boston Marathon due to security changes
- Senate passes bills deleting ‘retarded’ from laws
- China announces biggest military hike in 3 years: We are not ‘boy scouts with spears’
Muth found competent for trial in wife’s death
A judge has ruled that a German man is competent to stand trial in the beating death of his much-older wife inside their Washington home.
The Washington Post reports that the decision by D.C. Superior Court Judge Russell Canan followed nearly a week of expert testimony. It sets up a high-profile trial next year for 48-year-old Albrecht Muth.
Mr. Muth is charged with first-degree murder in the August 2011 death of his wife Viola Drath, a 91-year-old German journalist and socialite. Drath was found strangled and beaten in a bathroom of the couple’s row home in the city’s fashionable Georgetown neighborhood.
Doctors at St. Elizabeths Hospital initially said Mr. Muth was too delusional to stand trial, but they later concluded he was trying to manipulate the legal system.
TWT Video Picks
- Unemployment insurance vote could happen next week
- Back to the Future: HUVr Tech marketing video goes viral with hoverboard release tease
- MSNBC's Rachel Maddow: Bush to blame for Ukraine
- House defeats Democrats' attempt to rebuke Issa
- Christine O'Donnell eager to re-engage in political debate
- Obama slaps Putin with sanctions, restrictions on visas
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
- Rutgers professors to Condi Rice: Go home, and take your speech with you
- Two liberals say Sarah Palin is right: Obama lacks substance
- R-S-P-E-C-T: Find out what it means for Obama
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again