- ‘Gay Jeans’ that fade into rainbow-colored denim created
- Divided court strikes down big porn award
- Jimmy Carter: Don’t hurt Russian people with sanctions
- Oldest ex-MLB player dies in Cuba, 2 days shy of 103rd birthday
- ‘Top Gun’ for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy’s approval
- Bill Clinton to endorse Charlie Rangel for re-election
- Pfc. Bradley Manning is now Pfc. Chelsea Manning: Court says so
- Secret base U.S. special forces used to train Libyans now under terrorist control: report
- 9th suspect in N.C. kidnapping turns self in to FBI
- L.A. sheriff admits to testing flyover spy program without notifying residents
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Armed citizens, not laws, will keep us safe
The reaction of gun-control proponents following a shooting death is similar to placing a stop sign at a dangerous intersection after a family has died there. How many deaths is “too many” to the lawmakers in Washington? Logically, the number should be one, but too many lobbyists, too much red tape and a shared paucity of backbone among members of both houses of Congress stand in the way of a solution to the issue.
Guns do not kill people; people kill people. The difficulty rests in defining which people should be allowed to purchase weapons. Firearm registration documents already contain questions about whether the applicant has been institutionalized for mental illness, and a “yes” disqualifies a person immediately. Yet many of the shooters in the recent atrocious shootings are said to have been mentally ill as they brandished their guns and killed innocent people.
Should the United States adopt a policy to ban gun ownership, the first hurdle would be amending the Constitution. The second would be trying to cope with an inevitable increase in the crime rate.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Obama's veil of secrecy is pierced
Get Breaking Alerts
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Obama avoids 'red line' for China; prepared to impose tougher sanctions on Russia
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- Kansas will nullify local regulation of guns
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- Brain surgery victim struggles with Obamacare: 'It's scary'
- Protesters, police clash in Philippines ahead of Obama visit
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend