- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
ZOGBY: President Obama’s weekly report card (Dec. 17-23)
Question of the Day
Pollster John Zogby grades the president’s week and how its events affect him and his agenda.
“President Obama failed to get a deal on the fiscal cliff. House Speaker John A. Boehner failed to get a majority of his caucus in the House. The system failed to work and has failed the American people again.
“Both sides agree that failing to get a deal and falling off the cliff will threaten a new recession (at a time when economic growth is ticking upward) and jeopardize the U.S. bond rating. Both sides are playing at brinkmanship at a time when the American people are looking for a deal.
“There is now a week to go, and this is not funny. In terms of the politics on this issue, the consensus is that the Republicans will be blamed for the lack of a deal. The polls are clear on that one. There is now talk about a short-term Band-Aid, then a bigger deal later on. But this was supposed to be the big deal later on. It is getting too late to be later on.
“The president has to force the issue with Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid: pass legislation that offers tax cuts to those earning less than (let’s say) $700,000. There were plenty of Republicans in the House willing to accept the Plan B target of $1 million. Then follow with a serious proposal to cut entitlements.
“Meanwhile, the speaker has to call Congress back and give them a statesmanlike scolding that begins with ‘This is America and elections matter. We lost.’ The president has political capital from his re-election with more than 50 percent of the vote. This is not the week to start to losing it.”
• Follow pollster John Zogby on Twitter (@thejohnzogby)
TWT Video Picks
By Michael Widlanski
Leveling the battlefield to aid terrorists enables evil to fight on
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Norway expects imminent 'concrete threat' from ISIL terrorists 'within days'
- Tom Petty: 'No one's got Christ more wrong than the Christians'
- Cutler wins endorsement from gun control group
- Eugenie Bouchard pulls out of D.C.'s Citi Open
- Presidents of Honduras, Guatemala blame U.S. for border children crisis
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq