- ISIL creates all-female brigade to terrorize women into following Sharia law
- ISTOOK: Obama wants to be impeached
- Obama to Latin leaders: Help with border
- Military bans troops from Baptist church event honoring ‘God’s Rescue Squad’
- ‘Pocket drones’: U.S. Army developing tiny surveillance tools for the next big war
- Belgian cafe posts sign: Dogs allowed, but Jews stay out
- Gen. Dempsey: Pentagon studying Russian readiness plans not viewed ‘for 20 years’
- John McCain: Botched, two-hour execution of murderer is ‘torture’
- House GOP ready to move border bill
- Bomb squad called after live WWII artillery washes on Cape Cod beach
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Avoiding overspending’s big picture
Question of the Day
We all know about the $16 trillion national debt. Now it turns out that when unfunded liabilities are added, the debt increases to more than $80 trillion. That certainly qualifies as the “big picture” and looks impossible to deal with. So let’s focus instead on a smaller picture: our annual deficit.
Annual expenditures exceed annual revenue by about $1.3 trillion. President Obama wants to squeeze $1.6 trillion out of the wealthy over 10 years. That would bring in less than $200 billion per year in additional revenue, dropping our annual deficit from $1.3 trillion to $1.1 trillion. But the Democrats don’t want to cut any costs. In fact, they — and certainly Mr. Obama — want to increase the spending level. So nothing will get done.
Perhaps we should focus instead on a smaller picture. How about the murders of four Americans in Benghazi, Libya?
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Mark Davis
The nation founders, the Lone Star State thrives
Get Breaking Alerts
- Rahm Emanuel: Send illegal immigrant shelter kids to Chicago
- 'Pocket drones': U.S. Army developing tiny spies for the next big war
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- CURL: Obama, staffers not even pretending any more
- Pentagon running out of time to find mass of missing weapons in Afghanistan
- Family of Marine killed in Afghanistan pushes back against cover-up
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Military bans troops from Baptist church event honoring 'God's Rescue Squad'
- WEST: Those who would rather join the jihadi army than their own nation's army
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine