- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Conspiracy theorist for defense secretary
Question of the Day
In this season of hope and faith that the star of Bethlehem will bring “peace on earth and goodwill to all men,” the yoke of tyranny and blind hatred for our Judeo-Christian ethic is in the ascent. Here in the land of the last great hope of mankind, in one nation “indivisible under God,” the denial is strongest in the most important halls of political power.
With a president whose political art is the raw denial of his daily actions, in near-absolute contradiction of his words we have a primal example of his disdain for our spiritual and strategic ally, Israel. In the shadow of his marketing campaign for a second term, we got an illustration of his true beliefs.
Fresh from his defiant endorsement for secretary of state of Susan Rice, a woman with a harsh and tangible career as a friend of tyranny and disdain for Israel, Mr. Obama proceeds to endorse Sen. Chuck Hagel for secretary of defense.
Mr. Hagel, whose grasp of all matters international is at best marginal, has been a voice for nearly every invented heresy ever uttered in assault on Israel. From his myopic suspicion of a “Jewish lobby” in our midst to his puppetlike endorsement of every misdirected, anti-Israel argument employed by Hamas, the Palestinian Authority and all enemies in between, he is guilty of negligence for his loose-minded logic.
Mr. Hagel has reaffirmed time and again that he is right there at the top of the list of “useful idiots.” He repeatedly has confused Israel with an aggressor and her enemies with the aggrieved. Like all members of his zealous lot, he has misread treachery as victimhood.
All of this leads back to his potential boss, the commander in chief, who oddly enough shares all the very same sentiments. Mr. Obama’s choice of Mr. Hagel, so divorced from true competence and empathy, in such a position of power over our national defense forces is an eye-opener and affirmation of the Obama mantra of open defiance while maintaining denial of the same.
ROBERT F. AGOSTINELLI
Palm Beach, Fla.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Michael Widlanski
Leveling the battlefield to aid terrorists enables evil to fight on
Get Breaking Alerts
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Norway expects imminent 'concrete threat' from ISIL terrorists 'within days'
- Tom Petty: 'No one's got Christ more wrong than the Christians'
- Cutler wins endorsement from gun control group
- Eugenie Bouchard pulls out of D.C.'s Citi Open
- Presidents of Honduras, Guatemala blame U.S. for border children crisis