- Al Sharpton, Trayvon Martin’s parents rally against Fla. ‘stand your ground’ law
- Hillary Clinton campaign got illicit funds from D.C. scandal figure
- Obama administration backs off plan to cut prescription-drug program
- Tickets linked to stolen passports purchased by Iranian middleman
- More than 3,500 police planned for Boston Marathon
- Ottawa day care suspends 2-year-old for ‘outside’ cheese sandwich
- Liam Neeson tells NYC mayor to ‘man up’ in horse carriage fight
- Real-life Dr. Doolittle to reveal how to talk to animals
- Climate change could bring back smallpox, researchers say
- Shoe-bomb witness to speak from London at N.Y. trial
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Conspiracy theorist for defense secretary
In this season of hope and faith that the star of Bethlehem will bring “peace on earth and goodwill to all men,” the yoke of tyranny and blind hatred for our Judeo-Christian ethic is in the ascent. Here in the land of the last great hope of mankind, in one nation “indivisible under God,” the denial is strongest in the most important halls of political power.
With a president whose political art is the raw denial of his daily actions, in near-absolute contradiction of his words we have a primal example of his disdain for our spiritual and strategic ally, Israel. In the shadow of his marketing campaign for a second term, we got an illustration of his true beliefs.
Fresh from his defiant endorsement for secretary of state of Susan Rice, a woman with a harsh and tangible career as a friend of tyranny and disdain for Israel, Mr. Obama proceeds to endorse Sen. Chuck Hagel for secretary of defense.
Mr. Hagel, whose grasp of all matters international is at best marginal, has been a voice for nearly every invented heresy ever uttered in assault on Israel. From his myopic suspicion of a “Jewish lobby” in our midst to his puppetlike endorsement of every misdirected, anti-Israel argument employed by Hamas, the Palestinian Authority and all enemies in between, he is guilty of negligence for his loose-minded logic.
Mr. Hagel has reaffirmed time and again that he is right there at the top of the list of “useful idiots.” He repeatedly has confused Israel with an aggressor and her enemies with the aggrieved. Like all members of his zealous lot, he has misread treachery as victimhood.
All of this leads back to his potential boss, the commander in chief, who oddly enough shares all the very same sentiments. Mr. Obama’s choice of Mr. Hagel, so divorced from true competence and empathy, in such a position of power over our national defense forces is an eye-opener and affirmation of the Obama mantra of open defiance while maintaining denial of the same.
ROBERT F. AGOSTINELLI
Palm Beach, Fla.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By David Keene
Conference showed that the values Reagan cherished still endure
Get Breaking Alerts
- Hillary Clinton campaign received funds from Jeffrey Thompson
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- Unanimous Senate passes bill on military sex assault to give victims more say in prosecution
- Atheists sue to remove 'Ground Zero Cross' from 9/11 museum
- Mitch McConnell on beating tea party: 'We are going to crush them'
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- Sharyl Attkisson resigns from CBS after months of talks
- George Zimmerman signs autographs at Orlando gun show
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- EDITORIAL: Senate Democrats’ pointless all-night global warming talkathon
- EDITORIAL: Enforce the Law Act aims to hold Obama accountable
- EDITORIAL: Relief from 'homeowners association nightmares'
- EDITORIAL: Lawyers encouraging pursuit of jackpot justice
- EDITORIAL: As jobs vanish, Obama wants more of same