- GOP hopes taking shutdown off the table with budget deal will pay dividends
- Chinese Death Star: The moon cited as the perfect launch pad for ballistic missiles
- Help wanted: Homeland Security plagued by vacancies at the top
- We are not amused: Queen’s protection officers warned to keep ‘sticky fingers’ off the royal cashews
- Unleash the crossbows: Gov. Scott Walker creates new hunting season
- Bubonic plague kills 20 in Madagascar
- G-20 diplomats fell for hacker attack promising nude photos of former French first lady Carla Bruni
- Minnesota guardsman charged with stealing private soldier data for fake IDs
- Florida appeals court rules universities can’t regulate guns
- Vladimir Putin defends Russian conservative values
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Gun-free zones offer criminals rich targets
Americans’ hearts have been wounded by the murders of the children and teachers in Newtown, Conn., on Dec. 14. That was a senseless act of cruelty by a terribly disturbed young man. We must find a way to protect our most vulnerable citizens and preserve our ability to defend ourselves. The Second Amendment codifies our right to defend our lives and liberty.
Schools in Israel were easy targets for terrorist attacks until some teachers were asked to accept the responsibility of undergoing weapons training and carrying arms. Those attacks stopped. A few sheepdogs among the sheep are all that is needed to stop the wolves. We arm air marshals to protect travelers. Should we not give the same level of protection to our children? In 2007, the school district in Herald, Texas, chose to do just that. Teachers with concealed-carry permits were given the option of receiving additional training and being armed in the classroom. No child in the district has been harmed since.
“Gun-free zones” must be eliminated because they offer a false sense of security and a target-rich environment for criminals. Forty-nine states have found that having responsible adults carrying arms makes us all safer. Seconds count when the police are minutes away.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
By Mangosuthu Buthelezi
Get Breaking Alerts
- Obama's Afghanistan experts stumped on U.S. death toll, war costs during hearing
- NAPOLITANO: A conspiracy so vast
- House pushes through two-year Ryan-Murray budget deal
- Comma on!: Twitter erupts over Obama-Castro 'marriage'
- Biden guarantees victory on immigration reform
- Obama takes 'selfie' at Mandela's funeral service
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- CARSON: Why did the founders give us the Second Amendment?
- VEGAS RULES: Harry Reid pushed feds to change ruling for casino's big-money foreigners
- All-out war breaks out in GOP over budget pact