- Bomb squad called after live WWII artillery washes on Cape Cod beach
- HAYDEN: Intelligence, evidence and the case against Russia
- Ohio university quiz implies atheists are naturally smarter than Christians
- Rep. Henry Cuellar on border crisis: ‘Playing defense on the one-yard line’
- Activists vow to occupy fast-food restaurants to get higher pay
- Rep. Luis Gutierrez: Senate Dems wary of immigration politics
- Summer camp for 1 percenters: Sushi, limos and shopping at FAO Schwarz
- Colorado gun crackdown law found to be built on faulty data
- Hank Aaron steps to fundraising plate for Democrat Michelle Nunn
- ISIL terrorists blow up burial site of Jonah, vow more of same
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Gun-free zones offer criminals rich targets
Question of the Day
Americans’ hearts have been wounded by the murders of the children and teachers in Newtown, Conn., on Dec. 14. That was a senseless act of cruelty by a terribly disturbed young man. We must find a way to protect our most vulnerable citizens and preserve our ability to defend ourselves. The Second Amendment codifies our right to defend our lives and liberty.
Schools in Israel were easy targets for terrorist attacks until some teachers were asked to accept the responsibility of undergoing weapons training and carrying arms. Those attacks stopped. A few sheepdogs among the sheep are all that is needed to stop the wolves. We arm air marshals to protect travelers. Should we not give the same level of protection to our children? In 2007, the school district in Herald, Texas, chose to do just that. Teachers with concealed-carry permits were given the option of receiving additional training and being armed in the classroom. No child in the district has been harmed since.
“Gun-free zones” must be eliminated because they offer a false sense of security and a target-rich environment for criminals. Forty-nine states have found that having responsible adults carrying arms makes us all safer. Seconds count when the police are minutes away.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Second- and third-stringers eye 2016 if front-runner stumbles
Get Breaking Alerts
- Michelle Obama says money in politics is bad, asks donors for 'big, fat check'
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Presidents of Honduras, Guatemala blame U.S. for border children crisis
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- EDITORIAL: Detroit's water 'spigot bigots'
- PRUDEN: The Democratic-wannabe mice under Hillary Clinton's feet
- Let it roll: D.C. Council hits Las Vegas on taxpayer's dime, leaves $14,000 tab
- White House readies for House GOP impeachment push: 'Foolish' to ignore
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Brian Kelly, Notre Dame ready for different route to title