- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
Tebow still has support of former teammates
Question of the Day
On Wednesday Tebow denied asking out of anything and a couple of former University of Florida teammates reacted to the situation and spoke to the quarterback’s character.
“He’s used to playing,” said Baltimore Ravens receiver Deonte Thompson, who played with Tebow in 2008 and 2009. “He’s a guy that started his whole life. It’s new to him. He’s going through something right now. But I still think he’s a positive guy. I don’t think he’d say anything negative. I just can’t picture Tebow saying anything too negative.”
When Jets coach Rex Ryan elected to bench Mark Sanchez, he chose Greg McElroy as his starter for Sunday’s game against the San Diego Chargers. According to the Associated Press, Tebow approached Ryan to tell him he wanted to be “a regular quarterback.”
“I never said, ‘Hey, I don’t want to do anything or I won’t do anything,’ ” Tebow told reporters Wednesday, as quoted by the AP. “That wasn’t the talk at all. He knows that, and everybody on this team knows that. I’d never not do something if I was asked, and I think that’s what’s disappointing about the whole situation, people saying, ‘You quit,’ or, ‘You didn’t do this.’ It was not it at all.
“It was just me asking to get an opportunity to play the position I love, which is quarterback. It wasn’t me asking out of anything.”
Hurt would only address a couple of questions about Tebow’s personality.
“Great guy. People person, great teammate. All-around great guy. One of the best people I’ve ever been around,” Hurt said. “Great leader. Leads through adversity, always positive. He’s a great guy from everything I’ve known.”
Asked if he thought during his time with the Gators that Tebow would be a good NFL quarterback, Hurt said: “I can’t. You’re asking me questions I can’t be answering. No comment.”
Tebow enjoyed success in 2011 when he led the Denver Broncos on a six-game winning streak. “Tebow Mania” lasted until a 45-10 loss to the New England Patriots in the AFC Divisional playoff round.
When Sanchez’s performance warranted a change, the switch to McElroy prompted Tebow’s conversation with Ryan. The way he explained it to reporters in Florham Park, N.J., is that once he realized his coach misinterpreted his comments he tried to clear things up.
“I just asked for an opportunity to play quarterback and he definitely understood that,” Tebow said, “and then Friday, I went up to him again and reiterated that, ‘Hey, I’ll do anything for this team like I have all year.’ “
Tebow took issue with reports and those assailing his reputation as a person and teammate.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- WHYNO: Tomas Vokoun gets unexpected Stanley Cup shot with Penguins
- Brandon Meriweather, Redskins' secondary ready for bounceback year
- Kirk Cousins embraces role as Redskins' offseason starter as RG3 rehabs from injury
- Capitals notes: Realignment won't prompt roster remake
- Despite Caps' first-round playoff exit, Adam Oates' first season as coach left a positive taste
Latest Blog Entries
- Redskins injury updates (5/23): WR Pierre Garcon, CB Josh Wilson each had labrum surgery
- Capitals 'love' Matt Hendricks, but how much?
- Wojtek Wolski signs in Russia's Kontinental Hockey League
- Tom Poti won't return to Capitals, plans to continue his NHL career
- Is Tom Wilson ready to be a regular for Capitals?
By David Keene
Allowing states to innovate could reduce dependency on bureaucracy
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- White House defends Kerry failure to broker Middle East cease-fire
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Romney would win popular vote in rematch against Obama: CNN poll - Washington Times#.U9ZSgi7-CXU.twi
- Russia violating 1987 nuclear missile treaty
- RAHN: When money mischief goes global
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq