- ISTOOK: IRS “wants to throw us in jail,” says tea party leader
- Easter woes: Chocolate costs soar, becoming ‘unaffordable’ luxury
- Michaels craft chain confirms hackers hit 3M customers
- Special Forces’ suicide rates hit record levels — casualties of ‘hard combat’
- Many Americans would quickly face financial hardship after losing job, poll shows
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford thanks supporters at re-election campaign bash
- Texas seizes polygamist Warren Jeffs’ 1,600-acre ranch
- Publisher unveils Hillary Clinton’s new memoir — ‘Hard Choices’
- Britain’s Labour Party hires David Axelrod — but can’t spell his name
- Washington and Lee law students demand ban on Confederate flag, say Gen. Lee was racist
Tebow still has support of former teammates
On Wednesday Tebow denied asking out of anything and a couple of former University of Florida teammates reacted to the situation and spoke to the quarterback’s character.
“He’s used to playing,” said Baltimore Ravens receiver Deonte Thompson, who played with Tebow in 2008 and 2009. “He’s a guy that started his whole life. It’s new to him. He’s going through something right now. But I still think he’s a positive guy. I don’t think he’d say anything negative. I just can’t picture Tebow saying anything too negative.”
When Jets coach Rex Ryan elected to bench Mark Sanchez, he chose Greg McElroy as his starter for Sunday’s game against the San Diego Chargers. According to the Associated Press, Tebow approached Ryan to tell him he wanted to be “a regular quarterback.”
“I never said, ‘Hey, I don’t want to do anything or I won’t do anything,’ ” Tebow told reporters Wednesday, as quoted by the AP. “That wasn’t the talk at all. He knows that, and everybody on this team knows that. I’d never not do something if I was asked, and I think that’s what’s disappointing about the whole situation, people saying, ‘You quit,’ or, ‘You didn’t do this.’ It was not it at all.
“It was just me asking to get an opportunity to play the position I love, which is quarterback. It wasn’t me asking out of anything.”
Hurt would only address a couple of questions about Tebow’s personality.
“Great guy. People person, great teammate. All-around great guy. One of the best people I’ve ever been around,” Hurt said. “Great leader. Leads through adversity, always positive. He’s a great guy from everything I’ve known.”
Asked if he thought during his time with the Gators that Tebow would be a good NFL quarterback, Hurt said: “I can’t. You’re asking me questions I can’t be answering. No comment.”
Tebow enjoyed success in 2011 when he led the Denver Broncos on a six-game winning streak. “Tebow Mania” lasted until a 45-10 loss to the New England Patriots in the AFC Divisional playoff round.
When Sanchez’s performance warranted a change, the switch to McElroy prompted Tebow’s conversation with Ryan. The way he explained it to reporters in Florham Park, N.J., is that once he realized his coach misinterpreted his comments he tried to clear things up.
“I just asked for an opportunity to play quarterback and he definitely understood that,” Tebow said, “and then Friday, I went up to him again and reiterated that, ‘Hey, I’ll do anything for this team like I have all year.’ “
Tebow took issue with reports and those assailing his reputation as a person and teammate.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- WHYNO: Tomas Vokoun gets unexpected Stanley Cup shot with Penguins
- Brandon Meriweather, Redskins' secondary ready for bounceback year
- Kirk Cousins embraces role as Redskins' offseason starter as RG3 rehabs from injury
- Capitals notes: Realignment won't prompt roster remake
- Despite Caps' first-round playoff exit, Adam Oates' first season as coach left a positive taste
Latest Blog Entries
- Redskins injury updates (5/23): WR Pierre Garcon, CB Josh Wilson each had labrum surgery
- Capitals 'love' Matt Hendricks, but how much?
- Wojtek Wolski signs in Russia's Kontinental Hockey League
- Tom Poti won't return to Capitals, plans to continue his NHL career
- Is Tom Wilson ready to be a regular for Capitals?
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
- Immigration still on hold: Boehner's office
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- Supreme Court weighs appeal to concealed-carry gun laws
- Prosecutors seek arrest warrant for ferry captain in South Korea
- PRUDEN: When a bored president just 'mails it in'
- With pot and e-cigarettes, Big Tobacco is just waiting to inhale emerging markets
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- CBO shows it's Paul Ryan 4, Obama 0 on budget targeting
- CARSON: Recovering Tocqueville's vision of American exceptionalism
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.