- S.C. hospital worker slapped with $525 federal fine for refilling $0.89 soda
- Teen from ‘Jihad Jane’ plot becomes youngest ever to serve time on U.S. terror charges
- Iranian woman forgives son’s killer at the gallows
- Nebraska principal sorry for ‘don’t tattle’ flier
- Illinois readies to spend $100M for Obama museum in Chicago
- John Edwards back in court — this time as a lawyer for Va. boy’s malpractice case
- Covered California reports more than 200K in overtime Obamacare sign-ups
- Thanks, Chuck: Hagel says U.S. sending Ukraine sleeping mats, helmets
- HUMPRHIES: The Liberal Bully of the Week is …
- Secret Service threatened to kill Mr. Met if he got close to Clinton, mascot claims
Healthy Griffin expects to take on Dallas without restraints
Coach Mike Shanahan limited Griffin’s designed runs in last Sunday’s 27-20 victory over Philadelphia because of the mildly sprained lateral collateral ligament in Griffin’s right knee. Shanahan, however, said that was by preference instead of necessity.
“The first week back, you don’t want to put him into a normal game plan,” Shanahan said Wednesday. “You want to protect him a little bit. I still think he was full-speed, ready to go. We just chose not to put him in that situation.
“I think as every day goes and you see somebody more comfortable and more comfortable, you have a gut feel when you could do everything. I really felt like I could have done that against Philly. We just chose not to.”
Griffin rushed twice for 4 yards against the Eagles, including a long run of 5. In Washington’s 38-31 victory over Dallas on Thanksgiving, he carried seven times for 29 yards.
On Wednesday, Griffin reiterated his belief that his knee is well. How that affects plays Sunday should help determine the outcome.
Teasing comes with Pro Bowl spot
Griffin’s reaction Wednesday to hearing he made the Pro Bowl wasn’t much. But his teammates let him hear about it at practice Thursday.
“There was a lot of ribbing,” Griffin said. “We went out and the first play in the huddle, all the offensive linemen said, ‘Aw, man, we can’t tell this guy anything anymore.’ They can poke and prod at me all they want; it’s nothing that bothers me. They know that they have a part in that as well because they’ve protected me, they’ve blocked hard for Alfred [Morris] and they’ve been the reason that we’ve been able to win this year.”
“We’re all focused on the Cowboys, so we know we got this game ahead of us,” Griffin said. “I try to tell the guys — and I wanted to tell ‘em, so I’ll tell ‘em through you guys — that as a player, I feel like you never play for awards.”
Griffin said he’d like to take everybody to Hawaii, a place he hasn’t visited. And that’s just teammates. Plenty of family members will want to make the trip, too.
“We’ll see how many family members I get to take or how many they’re going to pay for,” Griffin said with a smile. “I try not to spend too much money, so we’ll see what happens.”
Polumbus making progress
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- REDSKINS 2013: Breaking down the schedule, game by game
- NFL 2013: Ranking all 32 teams in terms of staying power
- REDSKINS 2013: Washington seeks staying power among NFL's elite
- With no blueprint, Redskin Hankerson seeks success as dad
- Redskins receiver Leonard Hankerson learning to manage family life with football career
Latest Blog Entries
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
- Joe Biden's first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Removal of military gear limits options for U.S., NATO in Ukraine
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- CURL: The state of the Union worse than you thought
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Cliven Bundy's Nevada ranch wrecked by retreating feds
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.