- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Repeal Hollywood’s ‘tax cuts’
Since the liberals in Hollywood support President Obama’s tax-the-wealthy mandate, we should immediately reinstate the 20 percent excise tax on motion picture theater gross revenues that existed from the end of World War II until the mid-1950s.
The movie excise tax was imposed in response to the high deficits after World War II and was meant to reduce the national debt. With the enormous deficit under the current administration and the historical precedent of such a tax, why shouldn’t we use this revenue source to again reduce the debt? The tax also could apply to modern entertainment technologies such as DVDs, downloaded movies and the like.
In these financially perilous times, why should movie stars and studio moguls — with their yachts, swimming pools and private jets — not shoulder at least some of the burden their predecessors carried back in the days of President Truman? We also should levy an additional tax on violent movies that glorify graphic deaths and could be contributing to the violence we see in our cities. Repeal the Hollywood “tax cuts” now.
LEO H. WEBSTER JR.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
Get Breaking Alerts
- CPAC 2014: Rand Paul urges conservatives to fight for liberty
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- Soldier who hid to avoid saluting the flag to be punished in secret; Army won't release details
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- EDITORIAL: Connecticut revolts against gun controls that could criminalize 300,000
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- Malaysia Airlines says plane on route to Beijing missing
- High schooler suing parents for money shot down by judge
- SAUERBREY: Taxing Marylanders until they flee
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Time for feckless president to show resolve
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama reserves 'Chicago way' for GOP
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Public education would wither in free market
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Turkey not committed to Cyprus peace
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Spoiled-kid culture creates greedy adults