- Paris bans cars, trucks from city to stave off smog
- Obama makes play for Obamacare in March Madness-themed ad
- Six Flags denies ride, then refund, to prosthetic-wearing veteran
- Russia TV warns U.S.: We can bomb you to ‘radioactive ash’
- Delta’s Boeing 757 airplane loses wing panel during flight
- Navy SEALS take control of hijacked oil tanker
- Malaysia Airlines pilots sometimes left cockpit door unlocked: U.S. businessman
- PHILLIPS: The benefits of defying ‘common wisdom’
- Judge strikes down Arkansas abortion law — nation’s toughest — as unconstitutional
- Court: Tenn. must recognize 3 same-sex marriages
State Dept. official who quit remains on payroll
Assistant secretary was singled out in report on security in Benghazi
Eric Boswell is still on the government payroll, even though he quit his Senate-confirmed post last week after he was singled out in a report on the department’s failings in the Sept. 11 terrorist attack on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, Libya, the State Department said Thursday.
“The State Department must comply with established federal law and regulations governing personnel actions, which do not provide the authority to summarily terminate or take other punitive actions against career employees,” department spokesman Chris Hensman said.
Mr. Boswell, who resigned as assistant secretary of state for diplomatic security, is a career Foreign Service officer and theoretically could return to work in a different job at the department next year, explained a State Department official on the condition of anonymity.
Former officials said it can take up to a month for officeholders to complete and process paperwork when leaving a Senate-confirmed job, and they usually remain on the payroll until the process is completed.
Also Thursday, aides to Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton said she would end her sick leave Monday and resume her official duties after remaining out of the public eye since early December.
“She’s recuperating at home,” and will take up her official duties again “next week,” trusted aide Philippe Reines told Agence France-Presse on Thursday evening. Mrs. Clinton had been suffering for a stomach and a concussion from a fall, according to her doctors, though some political critics have accused her of trying to duck testifying to Congress about the department’s failures regarding the Benghazi attack.
Mr. Hensman confirmed that three other officials who had been relieved of their duties in the report’s aftermath also remain on the payroll.
Because they did not resign, department policy prohibits officials from naming them. But two were identified by administration officials: Charlene Lamb, Mr. Boswell’s deputy who was responsible for embassy security around the world; and Raymond Maxwell, a deputy assistant secretary who oversaw the North African nations of Libya, Algeria, Tunisia and Morocco.
The report, written by an investigative board, singles out several unnamed officials who “demonstrated a lack of proactive leadership and management ability in their responses to security concerns” raised by personnel in Libya before the attack, as security in Benghazi worsened and extremist militias became more active.
However, the board “did not find reasonable cause to determine that any individual U.S. government employee breached his or her duty” and so could not recommend any disciplinary action, the report says.
“Poor performance does not ordinarily constitute a breach of duty that would serve as a basis for disciplinary action but is instead addressed through the performance management system,” the report says. In other words, the officials had failed in their work but not badly enough to be fired.
U.S. Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens, State Department official Sean Smith, and former Navy SEALs Tyrone Woods and Glen Doherty were killed in the attack.
Mr. Hensman said the State Department is eager to make changes recommended by the board, which says in its report that “findings of unsatisfactory leadership performance by senior officials … should be a potential basis for discipline.”
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Shaun Waterman is an award-winning reporter for The Washington Times, covering foreign affairs, defense and cybersecurity. He was a senior editor and correspondent for United Press International for nearly a decade, and has covered the Department of Homeland Security since 2003. His reporting on the Sept. 11 Commission and the tortuous process by which some of its recommendations finally became ...
- Senator's memo shows Iran links in Homeland Security's troubled immigration program
- Help wanted: Homeland Security plagued by vacancies at the top
- Dems back bill to fix problems in investor visa program
- Democrats proceed with Mayorkas vote despite pending investigation
- Game players don't think peace has a chance in Syria
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By David A. Clarke Jr.
Blame Washington's intelligence failure, not lack of police
- CURL: We overhauled U.S. health care to insure 4.2 million people?
- California gun store owner refuses to hand over customer list
- Bill Maher: God a 'psychotic mass murderer' who 'drowns babies'
- Firefighters discover church's Bible in Harlem rubble following gas explosion
- Crimea votes in favor of secession; U.S. rejects
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- Navy SEALS take control of hijacked oil tanker
- McCaul offers scenario where missing Malaysian jet lands in hostile country to be use as missile
- College group's diversity event canceled after excluding white people
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
Chaos as Manhattan building explodes
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014