- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
Activists say airstrike in north Syria kills 14
Question of the Day
BEIRUT — A government airstrike on a town in north Syria on Friday killed 14 people, mostly women and children, anti-regime activists said.
The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said the 14 were killed in a strike on the town of al-Safira, south of the northern city of Aleppo. The dead included two women and eight children.
An Aleppo activist who spoke on condition of anonymity for security reasons provided a list of the names of the dead and said the government often strikes the town because rebels are attacking a large military complex on its outskirts.
Rebels clashed with soldiers there on Friday, he said.
A video posted online that purported to show the site of the strike showed a large area covered with the rubble and the walls sheared off of a row of buildings nearby.
The video appeared genuine and corresponded to other AP reporting.
Activists say the regime often takes revenge for rebel advances by bombing residential areas. They say more than 40,000 have been killed in Syria since the start of the uprising against President Bashar Assad in March 2011.
Earlier in the day, activists said that rebels stepped up their siege of a military base further to the north, near the Turkish border, and government warplanes bombed surrounding areas to support the defenders.
TWT Video Picks
By David Keene
Allowing states to innovate could reduce dependency on bureaucracy
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- White House says Russia 'losing' war in Ukraine
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- HAYDEN: Intelligence, evidence and the case against Russia
- Border surge puts Obama legacy on immigration at stake
- Romney would win popular vote in rematch against Obama: CNN poll
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- Report: 40% of weapons sent to Afghanistan are unaccounted for
- KING: "Man-caused disaster" on the southern border
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq