- Putin calls Internet ‘CIA project’ that must be controlled
- Muslims offended that 9/11 museum movie speaks of jihad
- Obama marks Armenian massacre, avoids using the word ‘genocide’
- Gov. Rick Perry: ‘It’s not a dare, it’s a promise’; Texas will fight BLM
- Howard Dean cheers Obama’s approach to Russian aggression
- Sen. Elizabeth Warren’s childhood nickname? ‘The Surprise’
- Democrat Grimes backs Keystone XL pipeline in Kentucky Senate race
- China spends for 17 new warships as U.S. cuts back military
- In Japan, Obama plays soccer with a robot and warns students of climate change
- FDA proposes ban on e-cigarette sales to minors
No injuries in school fire in Seabrook
No students or staff were injured in a fire at a Seabrook elementary school Monday morning, officials said.
Thirty-five firefighters responded to the one-story Gaywood Elementary School at 9:15 a.m. for reports of smoke in the roof above the boiler room, said Mark Brady, Prince George’s County fire department spokesman. The school is located at 6701 97th Ave. in Seabrook.
All students were evacuated to nearby DuVal High School to complete their school day, Mr. Brady said.
A boiler malfunction caused the ceiling to overheat.
“The heat was so hot in the exhaust pipe, it exited the roof area and the insulation inside the ceiling ignited,” Mr. Brady said.
Firefighters removed a portion of the roof above the boiler to extinguish the fire, he said. By 9:49 a.m. the fire had been extinguished and utilities turned off, according to Mr. Brady.
According to the department’s news blog, damage was estimated at $5,000.
Mr. Brady said he is uncertain whether Gaywood Elementary will be open on Tuesday.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Obama's veil of secrecy is pierced
- Obamacare class-action suit opens a new legal front
- Obama avoids 'red line' for China, prepared to impose tougher sanctions on Russia
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- 'Conservatives' should feel exposed by Bundy's racist comments: Scarborough
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- Sold out: Ukraine's leadership swapped best military weapons for cash
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- In its hunt for Senate, Republican candidates campaign against Harry Reid
- Opposition rising to Colorado gun control laws
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014