No students or staff were injured in a fire at a Seabrook elementary school Monday morning, officials said.
Thirty-five firefighters responded to the one-story Gaywood Elementary School at 9:15 a.m. for reports of smoke in the roof above the boiler room, said Mark Brady, Prince George’s County fire department spokesman. The school is located at 6701 97th Ave. in Seabrook.
A boiler malfunction caused the ceiling to overheat.
“The heat was so hot in the exhaust pipe, it exited the roof area and the insulation inside the ceiling ignited,” Mr. Brady said.
Firefighters removed a portion of the roof above the boiler to extinguish the fire, he said. By 9:49 a.m. the fire had been extinguished and utilities turned off, according to Mr. Brady.
According to the department’s news blog, damage was estimated at $5,000.
Mr. Brady said he is uncertain whether Gaywood Elementary will be open on Tuesday.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
By Rand Paul
Obama acts as though we no longer have a Constitution
Independent voices from the TWT Communities
First over-the-counter column approved for fast and effective relief from even your worst media-induced headache.
Challenge the political status quo. Realize that you make better decisions than the bureaucrats in D.C.?
A politically conservative and morally liberal Hebrew alpha male hunts left-wing viper
Sometimes life requires a paradigm twist.
Benghazi: The anatomy of a scandal
Vietnam Memorial adds four names
Cinco de Mayo on the Mall
NRA kicks off annual convention
California wildfires wreak havoc