No students or staff were injured in a fire at a Seabrook elementary school Monday morning, officials said.
Thirty-five firefighters responded to the one-story Gaywood Elementary School at 9:15 a.m. for reports of smoke in the roof above the boiler room, said Mark Brady, Prince George's County fire department spokesman. The school is located at 6701 97th Ave. in Seabrook.
All students were evacuated to nearby DuVal High School to complete their school day, Mr. Brady said.
A boiler malfunction caused the ceiling to overheat.
"The heat was so hot in the exhaust pipe, it exited the roof area and the insulation inside the ceiling ignited," Mr. Brady said.
Firefighters removed a portion of the roof above the boiler to extinguish the fire, he said. By 9:49 a.m. the fire had been extinguished and utilities turned off, according to Mr. Brady.
According to the department's news blog, damage was estimated at $5,000.
Mr. Brady said he is uncertain whether Gaywood Elementary will be open on Tuesday.
© Copyright 2015 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.