- Obama military downsizing leaves U.S. too weak to counter global threats, panel finds
- Sen. Tom Coburn vows to slow down budget-busting bills ahead of recess
- Obama fantasizes about more executive power, signs new order on federal contractors
- Clintons call Klein, Halper, Kessler ‘a Hat Trick of despicable actors’: report
- Boehner accuses Obama of ‘legacy of lawlessness’
- Pro-marijuana group claims responsibility for Brooklyn Bridge flag swap
- Young adults shun Obamacare mostly due to cost: survey
- Stabbing attack on transgender girl, 15, was ‘bias motivated,’ police say
- LGBT adults still lean overwhelmingly toward Democratic Party
- Lawmakers rattled by Syria genocide horrors, call on Obama to act
ZOGBY: President Obama’s weekly report card (Dec. 24-30)
Question of the Day
Pollster John Zogby grades the president’s week and how its events affect him and his agenda.
Grade: C- (because he won)
“When is a victory not really a victory? As of this writing, it looks like there will be a deal on the ‘fiscal cliff’ and that it might be enough to avert the worst crises: no rise in taxes for the middle class, a restoration of Medicare payments, and an extension of unemployment insurance.
“The only bipartisan aspect of any of this is that both sides suggest that the president has won this round. However, we must now look to the next gargantuan battle in a couple of months when the issue of raising the debt ceiling raises its ugly head again. If there really is this limited deal, no one in Congress (of either party) wins a new chapter in an updated version of John F. Kennedy’s ‘Profiles In Courage’ and no one emerges as a Henry Clay and Daniel Webster — brilliant, principled orators who knew how to make real compromises.
“When the sad history of this saga is told, the entire process (including the actors who played starring roles) must be described as worse than dysfunctional. This has been profoundly disrespectful to the American people, of all stripes, who voted in sufficient numbers to make this election matter. Voters wanted a deal, not the cheapest gravel that’s laid down to cover up the pothole for a few days before it cracks again.”
Last week’s grade: F
• Follow pollster John Zogby on Twitter (@thejohnzogby)
TWT Video Picks
Both parties recognize the Democrats' scam
- Inside the Ring: Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- Report: 40% of weapons sent to Afghanistan are unaccounted for
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
- GOP leaders delay border bill, leave Obama in control
- CIA admits improperly hacking Senate computers in search of Bush-era information
- Sarah Palin's online channel hits snag as Stephen Colbert buys similar URL
- 'Big Bang' star Mayim Bialik helps send bulletproof vests to IDF
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world