- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
ZOGBY: President Obama’s weekly report card (Dec. 24-30)
Pollster John Zogby grades the president’s week and how its events affect him and his agenda.
Grade: C- (because he won)
“When is a victory not really a victory? As of this writing, it looks like there will be a deal on the ‘fiscal cliff’ and that it might be enough to avert the worst crises: no rise in taxes for the middle class, a restoration of Medicare payments, and an extension of unemployment insurance.
“The only bipartisan aspect of any of this is that both sides suggest that the president has won this round. However, we must now look to the next gargantuan battle in a couple of months when the issue of raising the debt ceiling raises its ugly head again. If there really is this limited deal, no one in Congress (of either party) wins a new chapter in an updated version of John F. Kennedy’s ‘Profiles In Courage’ and no one emerges as a Henry Clay and Daniel Webster — brilliant, principled orators who knew how to make real compromises.
“When the sad history of this saga is told, the entire process (including the actors who played starring roles) must be described as worse than dysfunctional. This has been profoundly disrespectful to the American people, of all stripes, who voted in sufficient numbers to make this election matter. Voters wanted a deal, not the cheapest gravel that’s laid down to cover up the pothole for a few days before it cracks again.”
Last week’s grade: F
• Follow pollster John Zogby on Twitter (@thejohnzogby)
TWT Video Picks
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- CPAC 2014: Rand Paul urges conservatives to fight for liberty
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- EDITORIAL: Connecticut revolts against gun controls that could criminalize 300,000
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- Two liberals say Sarah Palin is right: Obama lacks substance
- Malaysia Airlines says plane on route to Beijing missing
- Soldier who hid to avoid saluting the flag to be punished in secret; Army won't release details
- High schooler suing parents for money shot down by judge
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again