- Sarah Palin to campaign for Senate candidate Ben Sasse in Nebraska
- Boise business entices customers to come break stuff — ‘recreational destruction’
- Fired Yahoo exec’s $60 million golden parachute may be a record
- Arkansas gynecologist snapped nude photos of patients, police say
- Anthony Weiner on his current sexting habits: ‘None of your business’
- Producers eye Capitol Hill for latest reality TV hit
- No selfie awareness: Obama, Biden mug for Instagram as Ukraine implodes
- Putin to Snowden: We don’t collect droves of data on everyone like the U.S.
- Clemson football’s new opponent: Atheists upset with player prayer, Bible study
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford’s re-election launch party will be ‘history in the making,’ brother says
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Test Obama’s vow of a cliff compromise
When it comes to the nation’s “fiscal cliff,” congressional Republicans should play the role of “The Godfather” and make President Obama an offer he can’t refuse without suffering severe consequences.
For example, the Republicans could present a package containing serious spending cuts together with a proposal not to renew the George W. Bush tax cuts for families making not $250,000, but $500,000 or more. If Mr. Obama rejects this compromise, Republicans could show that Mr. Obama’s insistence on raising taxes on the rich is not about fixing the nation’s fiscal mess but instead is a purely political maneuver designed to divide congressional Republicans and thereby weaken their party.
Mr. Obama says he is “open to ideas” — as long, of course, as they include tax increases on his terms and exclude any meaningful spending cuts and any entitlement reform. If Mr. Obama rejects the Republicans’ offer, congressional Democrats intending to seek re-election are likely to be blamed if the president’s rejection of the deal triggers another recession. Those Democrats, therefore, will be faced with a choice to join with the Republicans or go over the fiscal cliff with Mr. Obama.
HARRISON E. MCCANDLISH
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
Get Breaking Alerts
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- Removal of military gear limits options for U.S., NATO in Ukraine
- Joe Biden's first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
- CURL: The state of the Union worse than you thought
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Cliven Bundy's Nevada ranch wrecked by retreating feds
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers 'more deadly than jihadists'
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Bundy support demonstrates voters' distrust
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obamacare disasters were avoidable
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Muhammad wouldn't condone Boston bombing
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: High heels: Hazardous to one's health?
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Marshall's comments hurt GOP, pro-lifers