- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
- U.N. warns of Muslim ‘cleansing’ in Central African Republic
Watson: Olympics not the place for golf
SYDNEY (AP) - Eight-time major winner Tom Watson says golf has no place at the Olympic Games.
“I still think of Olympics as track and field and not golf to be honest with you,” he said. “I don’t want to pour cold water on it, but I don’t think it should be in the Olympic Games.”
Watson said golf has its four major championships, which remain its pinnacle events.
Golf was played at the Olympics in Paris in 1900 and St. Louis in 1904.
Watson supported the decision of golf officials to ban long-handle putters, but added he did so “with mixed emotions.” He said a broomstick stroke “is not a stroke of golf. That’s not a stroke but it makes it easier to play.”
“My son Michael, with a conventional putting stroke, he couldn’t make it from two feet, but he went to a belly putter and he makes everything,” Watson said. “The game is fun for him now, so there lays the danger. Do we take the ability for people to have fun away?”
Three of the last five major winners have used long putters, including South Africa’s Ernie Els, who capitalized on the collapse of Australian Adam Scott to win the British Open in July.
“I thought Ernie Els said it perfectly after he won the Open Championship,” Watson said. “He was asked `Why did you go with the long putter Ernie?’ And he said `I’m cheating like the rest of them are.’”
By Tammy Bruce
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- BRUCE: Obama's bizarre immigration rules
- IRS to turn over Lerner emails in tea party targeting probe
- DELAY: A revolution for the Constitution
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- Unemployment insurance vote could happen next week
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- High schooler suing parents for money shot down by judge
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again