- Divided court strikes down big porn award
- Jimmy Carter: Don’t hurt Russian people with sanctions
- Oldest ex-MLB player dies in Cuba, 2 days shy of 103rd birthday
- ‘Top Gun’ for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy’s approval
- Bill Clinton to endorse Charlie Rangel for re-election
- Pfc. Bradley Manning is now Pfc. Chelsea Manning: Court says so
- Secret base U.S. special forces used to train Libyans now under terrorist control: report
- 9th suspect in N.C. kidnapping turns self in to FBI
- L.A. sheriff admits to testing flyover spy program without notifying residents
- Foreign minister vows response if Russians are attacked in Ukraine
Briefly: U.N. holds funding appeal in Somali capital
The U.N. on Tuesday said that $1.3 billion is needed for programs from 2013 to 2015 that will assist 3.8 million people.
The acting humanitarian coordinator for Somalia, Stefano Porretti, said that while the humanitarian situation in Somalia remains critical, the improvement in food stocks and new-found security in the capital present an opportunity to break the cycle of recurring crises brought on by drought and conflict.
He said it is “imperative” that the world continue to support humanitarian work in Somalia.
But recently, the U.N. and other aid groups have begun to move back into Mogadishu.
President picks Geingob for prime minister
The Namibia Press Agency said President Hifikepunye Pohamba made the announcement Tuesday during a hastily called news conference in the capital Windhoek.
Mr. Geingob is part of the ruling party South West African People’s Organization, a former guerrilla movement known as SWAPO.
Mr. Geingob’s elevation comes after he was confirmed Sunday as SWAPO’s vice president. That puts him in a strong position to become SWAPO’s presidential candidate in the nation’s coming 2014 election.
Namibia gained its independence and a majority-rule government in 1990.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Feds who send arms against ranch families betray American values
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- Georgia governor signs bill expanding gun rights
- Harry Reid using tax dollars to fight Koch brothers, La. GOP chair charges
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Opposition rising to Colorado gun control laws
- IRS revokes conservative group's tax-exempt status over anti-Clinton statements: report
- Ukraine claims torture by pro-Russian forces on the heels of Biden's stern warning to Moscow
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014