- Congressman: McAuliffe victory means gun control a winning message
- Clinton aide admits soliciting disgraced D.C. fundraiser; says actions were legal
- Joel Osteen church victimized in $600K theft
- Obama goes shopping at Gap as minimum-wage thanks
- N.J. woman charged after client dies from black-market butt injections
- CIA chief Brennan ‘determined’ to speak out more this year
- Reset? What reset? U.S.-Russia ties at worst since Cold War
- 9/11 terror recruiter released in Syrian prisoner swap
- D.C. elections board gives green light to marijuana legalization initiative
- Elephants can tell difference between human languages: study
Column: Will Messi get to finish his masterpiece?
“I sincerely thought it was the last ball I would be touching for a long time because of the pain. I tried to go ahead and shoot but I didn’t have the strength,” Messi said.
Vilanova said he had no regrets and that it wasn’t the Barca way to molly-coddle its superstar.
“He’s a player that likes to play,” he said. “He’s not focused on breaking the record that everyone is talking about.
“If I had a do-over I’d make the same decision, seeing that he can get injured at any moment.”
The diagnosis for Messi was reassuring: bone bruising to the outside of his left knee. Barca said he did gym work Thursday. Messi had injuries earlier in his Barca career, and was notably left out of the team that won the 2006 Champions League final because of a thigh injury. But more recently he has been remarkably durable _ one reason why he has moved so close to Mueller’s record. Barca said Messi hasn’t missed a game with injury since September 2010, when Atletico Madrid defender Tomas Ujfalusi crunched his ankle in a tackle, damaging ligaments.
“It is not an obsession. If it happens, it will happen when it does,” Messi said Thursday. “It would be nice to reach a record that has been there for such a long time. But it is not something that worries me. If I don’t make it, no problem, but I am very close.”
John Leicester is an international sports columnist for The Associated Press. Write to him at jleicester(at)ap.org or follow him at http://twitter.com/johnleicester
- David Jolly wins in Florida, GOP keeps swing district seat
- House Democrats trying to force unemployment insurance vote
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Redskins bypass big splash - for now - as free agency period begins
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- FCC targets black conservative in TV station fight
- Hillary Clinton campaign received funds from Jeffrey Thompson
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- Sharyl Attkisson resigns from CBS after months of talks
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again