NEW YORK (AP) - Two days of marathon labor talks later, NHL owners and players were still working to reach a deal Thursday.
The mood had turned, however. Gone was some of the lightheartedness and rare optimism expressed earlier in the week and there were no joint statements by the two sides.
Representatives of the league and the players each said Wednesday’s long talks were “candid” and offered some sense of hope by announcing negotiations would resume later Thursday.
There is no doubt that work still needs to be done for a deal to be made that would save the hockey season.
“We had good, candid dialogue,” NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly said early Thursday after nearly nine hours of talks at a Manhattan hotel. “There continue to be some critical open issues between the two parties, and we understand the union should be getting back to us (Thursday) on some of those issues.”
It isn’t known what progress has been made so far, but owners and players understand that an agreement must be reached soon if they hope to get the game back on the ice this season.
The players’ association was expected to have internal discussions Thursday morning before meeting with the NHL later in the day.
Negotiations resumed a little after 2 p.m. Wednesday and proceeded in fits and starts as the league and the players’ association searched for an agreement. As they had the day before, talks went deep into the night, breaking two hours for dinner before finishing shortly before 1 a.m. Thursday.
Citing unidentified sources, The Canadian Press reported that the league _ which wants a more even split of annual revenue with players _ had increased its offer of a “make whole” payment to the players from $211 million to $300 million. The union had asked for $393 million. The catch, CP reported, is that the offer was tied to deals on other issues such as player contracting rights.
One point of contention is the length of a new contract, with owners looking for a 10-year pact, and players wanting a shorter term.
Owners often retreated to their room one floor above the location of the bargaining session and then took the elevator back down to get talks going again. Some of the joint sessions lasted only 15 minutes.
Cautious optimism emerged Tuesday in the first round of talks that kept NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman on the outside along with union executive director Donald Fehr, while six owners and about 18 players talked inside. The positive feeling carried over into Wednesday morning when various team executives said they heard good reports during an NHL board of governors meeting.
Bettman spoke briefly after that, just before negotiations started again, and the sides remained silent the rest of the day while talks continued. The reemergence in a media workroom at the hotel of a podium with a lectern featuring the NHL shield sparked hope that some sort of announcement soon would be coming. Though it remained unoccupied for quite some time, the podium gained instant popularity on Twitter.
Bettman declined to take any questions earlier Wednesday when he stood at that podium. A ray of hope that a season-saving deal could be made emerged late Tuesday night after about eight hours of bargaining.View Entire Story
By Elaine Donnelly
Extending sexual misconduct to combat units
Independent voices from the TWT Communities
Wall Street news before (and occasionally after) the opening bell.
One man’s perspective. Exploration and commentary designed to challenge the conventional thinking of day on the political issues affecting our nation.
Politics, economics, and business from a real world perspective.
Benghazi: The anatomy of a scandal
Vietnam Memorial adds four names
Cinco de Mayo on the Mall
NRA kicks off annual convention