“I rode the roller coaster for a long time,” he said. “I don’t want to anymore.”
Thursday night that roller coaster, and the course of negotiations toward a new collective bargaining agreement, appeared to go off the rails entirely. Minutes after NHL Players' Association executive director Donald Fehr said the sides were in “complete agreement” on many issues, he went back to reporters in New York City and told them: “There has been a development. It’s not a positive one.”
The league responded to the players’ offer with a firm no, delivered via voicemail from deputy commissioner Bill Daly to NHLPA special counsel Steve Fehr. Talks broke off and rhetoric returned, leaving the 2012-13 season in peril.
“We’re at a loss to explain what happened,” commissioner Gary Bettman said. “I am disappointed beyond belief that we are where we are tonight and we’re going to have to take a deep breath and try and regroup.”
The drastic 180-degree turn within minutes, in at least the public perception of the talks, appeared to be a new low during a lockout that has featured plenty of them. Previous laughable moments included mediator Guy Serota getting taken off the case for his Twitter feed and name-calling of Bettman by players.
This time, tensions and stakes are high and answers are hard to find about what went wrong and, more importantly, what’s next. What happened is complicated in the scope of these CBA talks but can be boiled down to this: the NHL made an offer that it considered a “package deal,” not for negotiating. The NHLPA tried to negotiate off it, “cherry-picking” aspects of the proposal that it liked.
Fehr and the players thought it was a step forward. Bettman and the owners were incensed that there wasn’t a “Yes” answer to three key issues: a five-year contract limit, 10-year CBA and no compliance buyouts or caps on escrow.
When the NHLPA offered an eight-year contract limit, eight-year CBA and expressed interest in compliance issues, the league
“We were advised in a voicemail message that the moves the players made were not acceptable, that there was no reason to stay around for meetings tonight or tomorrow, that they would be in touch, and that something, everything, that’s not clear, is off the table,” Donald Fehr said.
“The concept itself is off the table,” Bettman said.
Gone is the optimism that was starting to emerge in these talks earlier in the week. Daly called the five-year contract limit “the hill we will die on” and Fehr said “We’ve got to figure out a way to reach an agreement, if one is possible.”
There is still time to save some semblance of a season, even though the rest of the December schedule is expected to be canceled soon. Bettman insisted Thursday night that the NHL hasn’t set a deadline by which a deal would have to be made in order to play this year.
“The fact of the matter is, we’ll get to a point and at that point we’ll conclude we can’t have a season with integrity and then we’ll have to make a tough decision,” Bettman said, also implying no fewer than 48 games would work. “I am certainly hoping that we don’t get to that place. But when we do, we’ll be there.”View Entire Story
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
Independent voices from the TWT Communities
Politics, economics, and business from a real world perspective.
An establishmentarian conservative, short on cash, but long on wisdom.
A collection of reader guest articles, thoughts and opinions by Communities writers and breaking news and information.
World's Ugliest Dog Contest
Spelling Bee finale
Marines train Afghan soldiers
Rolling Thunder 2013
Benghazi: The anatomy of a scandal