President Obama and House Speaker John A. Boehner met at the White House on Sunday to try to jump-start the “fiscal cliff” negotiations as members of Congress teetered between calls for cooperation and jabs at the other side’s failure to compromise.
After their first face-to-face encounter in 23 days, the president and the House speaker were tight-lipped, saying in a joint statement only that a meeting took place and that “the lines of communication remain open.”
In the trenches, Republicans continued to indicate a growing willingness to accept Democrats’ demands for more federal revenue — either by closing tax loopholes and deductions or by raising rates in exchange for Democratic guarantees on entitlement reform.
Sen. Bob Corker of Tennesee and Sen. Tom Coburn of Oklahoma, in separate appearances on the Sunday talk shows, said they would be open to an increase in the top tax rates, but only as a means of attacking spending on Social Security, Medicare and other entitlement programs.
“There is a growing group of folks who are looking at this and realize we don’t have a lot of cards as it relates to the tax issue before year’s end. A lot of people are putting forth a theory — and I actually think it has merit — where you go and you give the president the 2 percent increase he’s talking about, the rate increase on the top 2 percent, and all of a sudden the shift goes back to entitlements,” Mr. Corker said on “Fox News Sunday.”
“And all of a sudden, once you give him a top rate on the 2 percent, it’s actually a much lesser tax increase than what he’s been talking about,” said Mr. Corker, who is regarded as one of the Senate’s fiscal conservatives. “I actually am beginning to believe that is the best route for us to take to again shift the focus to where it needs to be, which is entitlements.”
“The real problem: the president’s proposing 7 percent of the solution. What we ought to be working on is the other 93 percent, because even if you do what he wants to do on tax rates, you only affect 7 percent of the deficit,” Mr. Coburn said on ABC-TV’s “This Week.” “What we have done is spend ourselves into a hole, and we’re not going to raise taxes and borrow money to get out of it.”
No easy task
Democrats indicated Sunday that bringing them to the table on entitlement reform won’t be easy. Sen. Debbie Stabenow, Michigan Democrat, said Democrats already have made compromises on entitlements and spending cuts, and predicted no further movement until Republicans agree to extend the middle-class tax rates passed under President George W. Bush.
“Right now, the only thing I hear, the only thing we see, is middle-class families being asked over and over again to be the ones who have the burden in solving this problem,” Mrs. Stabenow said.
Sen. Richard J. Durbin, Illinois Democrat, added that reforming Social Security would be too difficult in the three weeks before Jan. 1, when the automatic tax increases and spending cuts kick in under the “fiscal cliff” scenario.
He warned that Republicans would shoulder the blame if the parties fail to reach an agreement on avoiding the automatic package of tax increases and spending cuts scheduled to kick in at the first of the year.
“I don’t want to do it, the president doesn’t want to do it, but we need to solve the problem,” Mr. Durbin said. “We cannot allow the reckless position to drive this economy into another recession, a recession which the Republicans will own.”View Entire Story
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
Valerie Richardson covers politics and the West from Denver. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
'Your papers, please' must never be heard in America
Independent voices from the TWT Communities
Sometimes life requires a paradigm twist.
We all eat, and food should be fun and healthful. Food Commune celebrates the food we eat, the people we eat with and the spirits we enjoy.
First over-the-counter column approved for fast and effective relief from even your worst media-induced headache.
Benghazi: The anatomy of a scandal
Vietnam Memorial adds four names
Cinco de Mayo on the Mall