- Associated Press - Wednesday, February 1, 2012

LONDON (AP) — Four British men fueled by the words of a U.S.-born Muslim cleric pleaded guilty Wednesday to involvement in an al-Qaeda-inspired plot to spread terror and cause economic damage by bombing the London Stock Exchange at Christmastime.

The nine men, from several parts of the country, were brought together through radical Islamist groups and nurtured plans to attack the stock exchange and other high-profile targets. Unbeknownst to them, British authorities learned of the plot and put them under surveillance.

The men were arrested in raids in December 2010, and all initially denied all the charges against them.

But on Wednesday, as their trial was due to start, four of the defendants pleaded guilty at Woolwich Crown Court to involvement in the stock exchange plan, and the five other British Muslims to lesser charges.

Mohammed Chowdhury, 21, Shah Rahman, 28, Gurukanth Desai, 30, and Abdul Miah, 25, all admitted preparing for acts of terrorism by planning to plant an improvised explosive device in the toilets of the London Stock Exchange.

Prosecution lawyer Andrew Edis accepted that the men had not planned to kill anyone.

“Their intention was to cause terror and economic harm and disruption,” he said. “But their chosen method meant there was a risk people would be maimed or killed.”

Chowdhury, from London, was described by prosecutors as the “lynchpin” of the plot. His lawyer, Christopher Blaxland, said Chowdhury admitted planning to plant the bomb, “with the obvious attendant risk but without any intention to cause death or even injury but with the intention to terrorize, damage property and to cause economic damage.”

The other five defendants admitted attending planning meetings, fundraising for terrorism or possessing copies of the al Qaeda magazine Inspire, which contained a feature headlined “Make a Bomb in the Kitchen of Your Mom.”

Prosecutors said the men had made no bombs or set dates for the attacks.

They said the men were not members of al Qaeda but had been inspired by the terror network and the sermons of its Yemen-based, American-born cleric, Anwar al-Awlaki, who was killed last year in a U.S. drone strike.

Mr. Edis said the nine defendants “were implementing the published strategy of AQAP” — al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula.

The men, then between 20 and 30 years old, were arrested in London; Cardiff, Wales; and Stoke-on-Trent, England, in what police called the biggest anti-terror raid for two years.

Prosecutors said the men plotted to send mail bombs to various targets in the run-up to Christmas 2010 and had discussed launching a “Mumbai-style” atrocity — referring to the bomb blasts that killed 166 people in India’s financial center in 2008.

The nine defendants were accused of agreeing on targets, discussing materials and methods, and researching files “containing practical instruction for a terrorist attack.”

Story Continues →