- The Washington Times - Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Prince George’s County police said they are looking for additional suspects believed to be involved in the death of an Alexandria activist whose body was dumped in a Fort Washington well.

Linwood Johnson, 49, has been charged with first-degree murder in the fatal shooting of 53-year-old Lenwood “Lenny” Harris and was ordered held without bond Wednesday, according to court records.

Mr. Johnson provided a written confession of the crime after his arrest, according to an affidavit filed in Prince George’s County District Court.

After Mr. Harris’ disappearance in September, police in Alexandria launched a missing persons investigation, but it was not until late last week that his body was found.


Along with the confession, police have garnered more details about the crime, and officials with knowledge of the case said a second cellphone they believe belonged to Mr. Harris was retrieved from along Interstate 295. Another cellphone belonging to Mr. Harris was found shortly after he went missing on the Woodrow Wilson Bridge.

Police have said Mr. Harris and Mr. Johnson knew each other, but they have not elaborated on the nature of their relationship or the circumstances that led to the crime.

Mr. Harris was a longtime Alexandria resident who mentored youth and founded the nonprofit Operation Hope to provide free public services in the community.

Alexandria Police Chief Earl Cook said previously that Mr. Harris seemed to have been going about his normal routine when he went missing. After his disappearance, his credit cards were used at a number of ATMs around Prince George’s County and Alexandria and his car was found in Oxon Hill.

Court records for Mr. Johnson show a lengthy criminal history, including a long stay in federal prison. In 1988, he was imprisoned for attempted robbery with a deadly weapon in Prince George’s County. Other charges, the nature of which couldn’t be determined Wednesday, kept him in prison from 1987 until 2008, federal court records show.

While incarcerated, Mr. Johnson pleaded guilty twice to charges of possession of a prohibited object and had additional time tacked onto his sentence. In the first instance in 1993, he was found to have “two ice pick type weapons.” During the second incident in 1995, Mr. Johnson was indicted on charges of assaulting an employee but pleaded guilty only to possession of a shank, according to court records.

Since Mr. Johnson’s release from prison, court records in Maryland and the District show he has been arrested twice and accused of selling counterfeit DVDs. His counterfeit case in Prince George’s County is still pending.

His next court date in the first-degree murder case is scheduled for Feb. 28.