- Al Sharpton, Trayvon Martin’s parents rally against Fla. ‘stand your ground’ law
- Hillary Clinton campaign got illicit funds from D.C. scandal figure
- Obama administration backs off plan to cut prescription-drug program
- Tickets linked to stolen passports purchased by Iranian middleman
- More than 3,500 police planned for Boston Marathon
- Ottawa day care suspends 2-year-old for ‘outside’ cheese sandwich
- Liam Neeson tells NYC mayor to ‘man up’ in horse carriage fight
- Real-life Dr. Doolittle to reveal how to talk to animals
- Climate change could bring back smallpox, researchers say
- Shoe-bomb witness to speak from London at N.Y. trial
TV and film actor Philip Bruns dead at 80
NEW YORK (AP) - The actor who played the father on the 1970s comedy series “Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman,” has died. Philip Bruns was 80.
Spokesman Joseph Armillas says Bruns died Wednesday in Los Angeles of natural causes.
Bruns appeared on two seasons of “Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman,” playing Mary’s father on the soap-opera parody. He also spent three years with Jackie Gleason on his comedy-variety show in the mid-1960s.
Born in Pipestone, Minn., Bruns attended Yale University’s drama school, then began his career in New York on the stage and as a prolific actor in TV commercials.
He later went to Los Angeles, appearing in more than 40 feature films, including “Flashdance,” “The Stunt Man” and “My Favorite Year.”
Bruns is survived by his wife, actress Laurie Franks.
TWT Video Picks
By David Keene
Conference showed that the values Reagan cherished still endure
- Hillary Clinton campaign received funds from Jeffrey Thompson
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- Unanimous Senate passes bill on military sex assault to give victims more say in prosecution
- Atheists sue to remove 'Ground Zero Cross' from 9/11 museum
- Mitch McConnell on beating tea party: 'We are going to crush them'
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- Sharyl Attkisson resigns from CBS after months of talks
- George Zimmerman signs autographs at Orlando gun show
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again