- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
Rachel Zoe collection: Rock-star girlfriend look
NEW YORK (AP) - Rachel Zoe has that old-school, rock-star girlfriend thing down _ and, as she showed Saturday at New York Fashion Week, she does it well.
Zoe, best known as a celebrity stylist, seems to realize she doesn’t need to reinvent the wheel to gain traction as a fashion designer: Why not flaunt the signature look that has made you famous?
The runway at the Empire Hotel was a parade of faux fur coats, skinny-style tuxedos, maxi dresses and thigh-high boots that you imagine young jet-setters wearing as they shuttle from London to Los Angeles _ perhaps with a pit stop in New York. They’re outfits for the type of woman who can pull off gaucho pants, which were indeed part of the lineup.
There was a mashup of rich textures, including velvet, sequins, leather and tweeds. It was that mix that made the jewel-tone bow blouses under menswear style jackets feel modern.
Asked by reporters whom she had in mind to wear the clothes, Zoe said: “They’re for everybody. There’s no age cap. You’re never too young, you’re never too old. It’s just for a girl or woman that loves fashion, that kind of is not trendy, but she’s on trend, a woman that wants to enjoy life.”
Zoe, who has a line sold through QVC, added that she wants to “design incredibly beautiful clothes that people can buy and people can wear and they can collect, that’s at a reasonable price point.” The QVC clothing and accessories are mostly priced between $50 and $200.
AP radio correspondent Julie Walker contributed to this report.
Follow AP coverage of New York Fashion Week at http://twitter.com/ap_fashion.
TWT Video Picks
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- CPAC 2014: Rand Paul urges conservatives to fight for liberty
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- EDITORIAL: Connecticut revolts against gun controls that could criminalize 300,000
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Aronofsky's 'Noah' banned in Qatar, Bahrain, United Arab Emirates
- Russia should be booted from FIFA World Cup, senators say
- PIPES: Islam's inadvertent adverse effects on adherents
- MILLER: Donald Trump says hes a Tea Party member
- Soldier who hid to avoid saluting the flag to be punished in secret; Army won't release details
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again