- Israeli P.M. Netanyahu backs out of Mandela funeral
- Elian Gonzalez makes first trip outside Cuba since custody battle
- U.S., British intelligence agents enter online sic-fi world to spy on gamers
- Sarah Palin to host the outdoors show ‘Amazing America’
- CIA admits $3 billion intelligence operation was a flop
- ‘127 Hours’ author Aron Lee Ralston, who amputated arm in canyon, arrested in Denver
- Men posing as cops break into home of former deputy
- Berkshire County eschews greenback for own currency — BerkShares
- Hagel warns Pakistani leaders of U.S. aid losses over drone-strike protests
- Florida authorities ban autistic boy from owning therapeutic chickens
Homeland Security budget tops $59 billion
The Department of Homeland Security’s budget for fiscal 2013 is just over $59 billion, a little less than the current budget but almost $5 billion more than the 2011 budget, according to government figures.
In a statement announcing the new spending plan, Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano said that more than $850 million had been moved “to front-line operations” from administrative functions like “information technology, travel, [and] overtime.”
Among other efficiencies, Homeland Security is consolidating its various state and local government grant programs, which will dole out $2.9 billion next year if the budget is approved.
The budget includes $769 million to improve the cyber security of U.S. government civilian computer networks, and $117 million for scanners and other security technology at airports.
A little more than $10 billion of the agency’s budget comes from user fees paid by immigrants, air travelers and others, and from separate, mandatory funding such as the FEMA Disaster Relief Fund. The other $48 billion comes from taxpayer funds.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
By Brahma Chellaney
Beijing's creeping aggression signals a challenge to U.S. presence in the Asian Pacific
- CURL: Obama tells a whopper on IRS scandal
- WOLF: The president's other Obamacare lies
- Tech companies call for an end to NSA online snooping
- Lawmakers see 'false narrative' of Obama as a terrorist fighter
- Satanists petition for statue at Oklahoma Statehouse
- Obama lied about Syrian chemical attack, 'cherry-picked' intelligence: report
- Ted Cruz sees legal landmines ahead for Obamacare
- MSNBC host: Obamacare a 'wealthy white men' racist word
- Bill OReilly reminds: Nelson Mandela was a communist
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Let’s talk about everything, especially the absurdity of it all
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow