- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
Tuning in to TV
Question of the Day
To compete for ideological influence, party leaders have said China must create more cultural products such as books, films and art to attract Chinese and foreign audiences. As part of efforts to wrest back Communist Party control over cultural industries, China also recently said it would limit reality TV shows and other light fare shown on satellite television stations.
‘Survivor’ producer maintains innocence in Mexico hearing
A U.S. reality television producer has repeated his claims of innocence during a court hearing on the death of his wife at a Mexican resort in 2010.
Former “Survivor” producer Bruce Beresford-Redman said noises reported by witnesses coming from his room were him playing loud games with his children.
Mr. Beresford-Redman made the statement at a hearing Monday, two days before a judge is scheduled to decide whether the evidence warrants holding him over for trial.
The body of Monica Beresford-Redman was found in a sewer cistern at the resort.
The producer’s defense lawyers said the three-hour hearing in the city of Cancun went well.
A lawyer for his wife’s family said Mr. Beresford-Redman offered nothing new to support his story.
Singer laughs off alleged ‘19 Kids’ extortion plot
A Branson, Mo., singer said he’s laughing off an alleged attempt by a photographer to extort the hit TLC reality show “19 Kids and Counting” by threatening to release photos of him with a cast member.
James Garrett told the Quad-City Times that 24-year-old Amy Duggar, the niece of Duggar patriarch Jim Bob, occasionally performs in his John Denver Tribute shows, but they’ve never been alone together and aren’t having an affair.
According to the Associated Press, he said photos that photographer Teresa Hunt claimed were intimate were “totally benign” and weren’t taken by Ms. Hunt.
Investigators said Ms. Hunt threatened to release what she called compromising photos of Miss Duggar and Mr. Garrett if she wasn’t paid $10,000. Her attorney declined to comment.
Mr. Garrett said he hired Ms. Hunt to be his photographer in 2010 and feels betrayed. But he says “we’re all laughing about” the alleged plot.
‘Jersey Shore’s‘ Pauly D gets gig as Harrah’s DJ
TWT Video Picks
By Richard Rahn
Treaty would let tyrants peer into Americans' financial information
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Babson College, BYU win top spots in Money magazine's college rankings
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- Romney would win popular vote in rematch against Obama: CNN poll
- White House defends Kerry failure to broker Middle East cease-fire
- D.C. plans to seek stay of order striking down ban on handguns in public
- Islamic State opens 'marriage bureau' for single jihadists
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq