- Strong quake hits Japan, triggering tsunami
- Sniper heaven: Pentagon’s self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- Violent gang taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub
- Medicaid enrollment continues to soar under Obamacare, administration says
- Michelle Obama to Latinos: ‘We cannot afford to wait on Congress’ for immigration
- White House urges GOP to act ‘urgently’ on $3.7 billion request for illegal immigrants
- Politicians, criminals using ‘right-to-be-forgotten’ law EU courts forced upon Google
- Combat fatigue: elite special forces troops are ‘fraying,’ Gen. Joseph Votel warns
- German foreign minister to meet Kerry to discuss spying claims
- Florida police spokesman tells citizens: ‘Get yourself some firearms’
Rupert Murdoch: No defense for tabloid wrongdoers
Question of the Day
LONDON — News Corp. chief executive Rupert Murdoch on Friday told staff at his scandal-hit British tabloid the Sun that executives will continue to give police any evidence of wrongdoing and won’t protect reporters found to have broken the law.
But the media mogul, who toured The Sun’s London newsroom amid simmering staff revolt, also pledged to restore the newspaper’s status and confirmed plans to soon launch a new Sunday edition to replace the shuttered News of the World.
In an emailed message to staff, Murdoch confirmed he plans to remain in London for several weeks to handle the crisis caused by Britain’s phone hacking scandal and police investigations into alleged email hacking and purported bribery of public officials.
Murdoch’s visit follows last week’s arrest of five senior staff at The Sun as part of an inquiry into the alleged payment of bribes to police and defense officials for information. A total of 10 current and former staff at The Sun — Britain’s biggest selling newspaper — have been questioned over the allegations. None has so far been charged.
“We cannot protect people who have paid public officials,” Murdoch said in his email, which was forwarded to the Associated Press. “I am confident we can live by these commitments and still produce great journalism.”
Murdoch confirmed that staff currently suspended amid the police inquiries would be allowed to return to their posts, and pledged to help The Sun, which he has owned since 1969, recover from the crisis. He said the tabloid is “part of me and is one of our proudest achievements.”
“We will build on The Sun’s proud heritage by launching The Sun on Sunday very soon,” Murdoch’s email read. “Our duty is to expand one of the world’s most widely read newspapers and reach even more people than ever before.”
Murdoch closed his previous flagship Sunday tabloid, the News of the World, in July amid outrage when it emerged that journalists at the tabloid routinely eavesdropped on the private cell phone voicemail messages of celebrities, sports figures, politicians and crime victims.
TWT Video Picks
By Robert N. Tracci
Congress must use its appropriations power to secure the border
- Pentagon's self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- Violent gang MS-13 taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub
- A 'new Cold War': China's top paper warns of 'slippery slope' towards conflict with U.S.
- Armed militia sets up Texas command center to 'fight for national sovereignty'
- DOJ investigates Norfolk parade float critical of Obama
- PRUDEN: 'Dirty Harry' Reids increasing eccentricity
- Michelle Obama to Latinos: 'We cannot afford to wait on Congress' for immigration
- NASCAR TV contract back to NBC in 2015, leaving ESPN, Turner Sports
- Google Glass-equipped rifles can fire around corners: It's 'mind-blowing when you actually do it'
- Hamas orders civilians to die in Israeli airstrikes
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq
World Cup's sexiest WAGs