- California bans full-contact football practices in off-season
- Thune: Downed fighter jets show more evidence of separatist capabilities
- Obama tells DNC fundraising crowd: ‘I’m not overly partisan’
- Chambliss: Downed jet ultimately goes back to Putin
- Perdue strategy: Run against Reid, Obama, Pelosi
- White House: More changes to contraception mandate coming
- ‘Operation Normandy’ set to send 3,500 volunteers to border to ‘stop an invasion’
- Netanyahu’s spokesman: Safe to fly to Israel
- Oregon vandals smear cars with doughnuts, pastries, chocolate bars
- Obama’s ‘Katrina moment’ leaves his favorability factor at 42 percent
Question of the Day
Red Wings extend home winning streak to 23 games
DETROIT | The Detroit Red Wings won their 23rd straight home game, setting an NHL multiple-season mark and holding on to beat the San Jose Sharks 3-2 Sunday.
Detroit, which broke the league’s single-season record of 20 on Tuesday, surpassed the 22 wins in a row the Boston Bruins had over two seasons more than eight decades ago.
The Red Wings won their sixth straight game, all in a homestand at Joe Louis Arena, and have an NHL-high 84 points.
Henrik Zetterberg and Drew Miller gave Detroit a two-goal lead midway through the second period, and Darren Helm restored the two-goal edge 7:01 into the third.
Logan Couture scored late in the second period for the Sharks, and Patrick Marleau cut their deficit to a goal with 4:44 left.
c Pittsburgh Penguins forward James Neal, 24, signed a six-year, $30 million contract extension. Neal’s career-best 30 goals are second on the team - behind Malkin’s 32 - and tied for fourth in the NHL. He also has a career-best 56 points and 13 power-play goals, tied for the league lead.
Celtics’ Garnett sits out; status for Monday unknown
AUBURN HILLS, Mich. | Boston Celtics forward Kevin Garnett will miss Sunday’s game against the Detroit Pistons due to personal reasons.
Boston coach Doc Rivers said that he has known since Thursday that Garnett would be unavailable against Detroit. He said that he is not sure if Garnett will return to the team in time for Monday’s game in Dallas.
Garnett is averaging 14.1 points and 7.8 rebounds this season. With Brandon Bass still sidelined with a sore knee, former Piston Chris Wilcox will start against Detroit.
Federer sweeps del Potro to claim Rotterdam title
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
Retailer pays a price for getting too close to Obama
- CARSON: Costco and the perils of mixing politics and business
- Two Ukrainian fighter jets shot down
- David Perdue defeats Jack Kingston in Georgia Republican Senate primary runoff
- HURT: The cost of 'free' water in Detroit
- Beretta moving to Tennessee over Maryland gun laws
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- IRS seeks help destroying another 3,200 computer hard drives
- D.C. appeals panel deals big blow to Obamacare subsidies
- DEACE: How to go from civil rights icon to bigot in one quote
- House task force to recommend National Guard on border, faster deportations
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq