- The Washington Times - Thursday, February 2, 2012

A Prince George’s County police officer accused of stealing guns seized as evidence and selling them back on the street will face a new trial in July.

A jury hearing the case against Cpl. Juan D. Carter was unable to reach a unanimous verdict and the judge declared a mistrial last week, prosecutors said.

Cpl. Carter, who faces charges of misconduct in office and theft, will return to Prince George’s County Circuit Court July 23 for a new trial.

During the initial trial, prosecutors said Cpl. Carter took weapons seized by the state gun task force he was a part of and resold them. His defense attorney said the missing guns were the result of a disorganized task force and said prosecutors were out to make him the fall guy.