- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
Trial date for ex-NFL WR Hurd set for April 2
DALLAS (AP) - A federal judge has set an April 2 trial date for former NFL wide receiver Sam Hurd, who is charged with trying to create a drug-distribution network.
U.S. District Judge Jorge Solis, in an order Wednesday, set a pretrial conference for March 21 before an April trial in Dallas federal court. The trial could be delayed as Hurd, alleged co-conspirator Toby Lujan and federal prosecutors file motions beforehand.
Hurd, 26, is accused of trying to buy large quantities of marijuana and cocaine, including an alleged buy of one kilogram of cocaine. He was arrested outside of a Chicago-area steakhouse on Dec. 14 and cut shortly afterward by the Chicago Bears.
Hurd, a San Antonio native who played for the Bears and the Dallas Cowboys, has pleaded not guilty.
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Rand Paul wins 2014 CPAC straw poll, Ted Cruz finishes a distant second
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- Paul takes veiled shot at Cruz, says GOP must focus on growth
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- Obama engages in Ukraine diplomacy from Fla. resort as Russia digs in
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- EDITORIAL: As jobs vanish, Obama wants more of same
- CPAC 2014 straw poll results
- CARSON: Why did the founders give us the Second Amendment?
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again