- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
Obama peddles modest American dream
Question of the Day
Some polling suggests that, despite voters’ continued unhappiness with the economy and Obama’s handling of it, the president may be convincing Americans he’s on their side. A recent CBS/New York Times poll shows people view Obama as the candidate who best understands the needs and problems of “people like you,” and see his policies as more apt than those of the GOP candidates to favor the middle class or the poor.
Obama campaign adviser David Axelrod said “the viability of the middle class is the central economic challenge of our time, so I think that this is very essential in terms of this election.”
“He’s been talking about this for years, that there are certain things that are pillars of a middle-class life, and he’s been very focused on those things and addressing them as president,” Axelrod said.
• AP deputy director of polling Jennifer Agiesta contributed to this report.
TWT Video Picks
By Michael Widlanski
Leveling the battlefield to aid terrorists enables evil to fight on
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Cutler wins endorsement from gun control group
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- Man says he shot burglar who said she was pregnant
- CARSON: Costco and the perils of mixing politics and business
- Obama's empty tough-talk: Gun prosecutions plummet on his watch
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq