You are currently viewing the printable version of this article, to return to the normal page, please click here.

ISAF official: Reintegrating Afghan insurgents ‘working’

Question of the Day

Should Congress make English the official language of the U.S.?

View results

The effort to reintegrate former insurgents into Afghan society is working, the British Royal Marine officer in charge of the program said Wednesday at the Pentagon.

Maj. Gen. David Hook said about 3,100 ex-fighters are currently in the program, which began in October 2010. There have been as many as seven cases of recidivism, and about 25 other cases are being investigated, he said.

"Make no mistake, the program is working," said Gen. Hook, who oversees the Afghan Peace and Reintegration Program.

The general said program operators in Afghanistan were tracking about "1,200 reintegration opportunities" in December. Since then, about 100 former insurgents have joined the program.

Participants undergo a vetting process to make sure they are "bonafide insurgents," he said.

They then go through a three-month demobilization program, during which they are paid $120 a month, the amount an Afghan man would need to feed a family of six.

© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
TWT Video Picks