- Venezuela’s Maduro calls on student ‘price vigilantes’ to hit the streets, report businesses
- Atheists smug as Hindus join Satanists to demand display at Oklahoma Statehouse
- Bow before Valkyrie, NASA’s ‘superhero robot’ entry in DARPA challenge
- 10-year-old Pennsylvania boy suspended for pretend bow-and-arrow shooting
- Tea partiers turn on Capitol Hill budget deal
- Budget deal to get quick vote in the House
- Comma on!: Twitter erupts over Obama-Castro ‘marriage’
- Sebelius calls for review of Obamacare rollout woes
- American dream dying, but many see free market as solution: Poll
- Air Force base in South Carolina boots Nativity scene
Verdict in trial of Egypt’s Mubarak set for June 2
CAIRO (AP) — An Egyptian judge on Wednesday set June 2 as the date for the verdict and sentencing in the trial of ousted President Hosni Mubarak, which could put the man who spent nearly 30 years as one of the Arab world’s key strongmen on death row.
Mr. Mubarak is accused of complicity in the killing of protesters during the 18-day popular uprising that pushed him from power in February of last year. More than 800 people were killed during the uprising, many of them demonstrators shot dead by security forces.
A guilty verdict would make Mr. Mubarak the first leader ousted during the Arab Spring uprisings to face legal punishment by his own people.
A ruling of not guilty — a distinct possibility — could set off new a new round of unrest.
Egyptians have closely followed the seven-month-long case, and many accuse the council of ruling army generals who took power when Mr. Mubarak stepped down of dragging out the proceedings.
Critics of the military’s handling of the transition to democracy say the trial’s pace reflects a wider lack of justice for those killed in the uprising. Egyptian courts so far have not punished any police officers for the protester deaths.
Others have criticized the prosecution, saying it has failed to present strong enough evidence to support a murder charge.
Judge Ahmed Rifat announced on Wednesday the date of the final hearing, in which Mr. Mubarak will receive both his verdict and sentence, saying it would be open to media coverage. Most media have been barred from the majority of the hearings since the start of the trial.
The prosecution is calling for the death penalty for Mr. Mubarak and five others, which would be by hanging.
Mr. Mubarak rarely has spoken during the trial, and on Wednesday he turned down his last chance to address the court during the defense’s final arguments.
“I have no comment,” Mr. Mubarak told the judge, adding that what his lawyer said was enough.
Later, during the session that lasted more than nine hours, Mr. Mubarak fell asleep.
The defense argued that Mr. Mubarak is still president and thus can be tried only for treason or in a special court. It has also blamed the uprising on foreign agents who allegedly sneaked into the country to destabilize it.
Mr. Mubarak’s interior minister during the uprising reiterated that argument Wednesday in comments to the court that lasted an hour and a half.
He said the plotters “were supported by internal criminal elements with the aim of undermining Egypt’s international and regional standing and attempting to destabilize its political, security and economic stability.” The plot involved “killing peaceful protesters, storming prisons to free terrorist and criminal elements, vandalizing public and private properties and burning policemen inside their vehicles.”
Dozens of policemen also were killed during the uprising, many during attacks on police stations and prisons.
Mr. el-Adly offered his condolences to the families of those killed, prompting lawyers in the room to shout, “Butcher! Execution!”
Six other ranking security officers are being tried in the same case. Two of them, plus Mr. Mubarak and Mr. el-Adly, could be hanged. Mr. Mubarak; his sons, Gamal and Alaa; and a close associate are being tried in a separate case on corruption charges.
Also Wednesday, Amnesty International said Egyptian security forces had used excessive force against demonstrators earlier this month, killing 16 and injuring many more.
Protesters took to the streets in Cairo and the canal town of Suez following the killing of 74 people at a soccer match. They blamed police for not stopping the attackers.
Over the next five days, Amnesty said, police used “excessive force, including firearms, to disperse angry protests.”
While most demonstrators protested peacefully, some threw rocks and launched fireworks at police.
“The recent use of excessive force by the security forces show a complete disrespect for human life,” Amnesty’s Hassiba Hadj Sahraoui said in a statement.
By Donald Lambro
Growth spikes are little more than trend-free anomalies
- Teen thugs in DC run wild -- even while wearing GPS ankle bracelets
- Leon Panetta named as source of 'Zero Dark Thirty' scriptwriters information
- New budget accord saves $23 billion -- after $65 billion spending spree
- Obama takes 'selfie' at Mandela's funeral service
- CARSON: Why did the founders give us the Second Amendment?
- VEGAS RULES: Harry Reid pushed feds to change ruling for casino's big-money foreigners
- Tea partiers turn on Capitol Hill budget deal
- Gov't Motors: Obama fudges math on auto bailout, $10.5 billion loss for taxpayers
- More than a quarter million sign up for Obamacare in November
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend's shopping jumps to his death
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
An objective, analysis-based perspective of D.C. sports as seen through the eyes of lifelong D.C. sports enthusiast, John Heibel.
All of the world’s problems, solved on your back porch
Human interest stories to feed interest, satisfy curiosity and see outside the box.
Politics, economics, and business from a real world perspective.
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow