- Extra-time goal gives Germany World Cup title over Argentina
- Strong quake hits Japan, triggering tsunami
- Sniper heaven: Pentagon’s self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- Violent gang taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub
- Medicaid enrollment continues to soar under Obamacare, administration says
- Michelle Obama to Latinos: ‘We cannot afford to wait on Congress’ for immigration
- White House urges GOP to act ‘urgently’ on $3.7 billion request for illegal immigrants
- Politicians, criminals using ‘right-to-be-forgotten’ law EU courts forced upon Google
- Combat fatigue: elite special forces troops are ‘fraying,’ Gen. Joseph Votel warns
- German foreign minister to meet Kerry to discuss spying claims
Inside the Beltway
Question of the Day
Restless and indefatigable, the remaining Republican presidential hopefuls travel to six states in the next 72 hours. Rick Santorum appears to be regrouping and has yet to reveal weekend plans, though he’ll appear on NBC’s “Meet the Press” on Sunday. Ever mindful of expanding his populist image, Mitt Romney includes a stop at the famed Daytona International Speedway in Daytona Beach, Fla.
Once he’s finished up in Washington, Tennessee and California, bustling Newt Gingrich heads home to Georgia where he and wife Callista will embark on a two-day, six-town bus tour in the Peach State that begins Tuesday. “Every minute I spend in Georgia reminds me of why I ran for political office,” Mr. Gingrich says. Meanwhile, here’s where the candidates will roam:
Washington, California, Tennessee, Georgia: Mr. Gingrich.
Florida: Mr. Romney.
POLL DU JOUR
• 52 percent of Americans say government regulation usually does “more harm than good”; 76 percent of Republicans and 38 percent of Democrats agree.
• 40 percent overall say regulation is necessary to protect the public; 17 percent of Republicans and 57 percent of Democrats agree.
• 53 percent overall say regulation on food production and packaging should be strengthened; 44 percent of Republicans and 63 percent of Democrats agree.
• 50 percent overall say environmental protection should be strengthened; 28 percent of Republicans and 64 percent of Democrats agree.
• 41 percent overall say workplace health and safety regulations should be strengthened; 25 percent of Republicans and 52 percent of Democrats agree.
• 39 percent overall say prescription drug regulations should be strengthened; 31 percent of Republicans and 41 percent of Democrats agree.
Source: A Pew Research Center survey of 1,501 U.S. adults conducted Feb. 8 to 12 and released Thursday.
• Tipline always open at firstname.lastname@example.org.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- Inside the Beltway: White House grade slips to 'F'
- Pot reluctance: Presidential hopefuls get skittish talking about weed
- Inside the Beltway: Bolton bolsters the 'national security' candidate
- Got justice? 60 percent of Americans say Supreme Court 'gets too mixed up in politics'
- Inside the Beltway: What will become of the Obama legacy?
Latest Blog Entries
- A startling 20 percent of Democratic lawmakers already endorse Hillary Clinton for president
- Hey food police: calling obesity a 'disease' is actually a health risk
- Cheese and an 'enhanced experience': White House goes showbiz on the State of the Union address
- Cruz calls it a 'circus': the State of the Union spectacle begins
- Half of American fans say God and 'supernatural' forces are in play during sports events
TWT Video Picks
By Robert N. Tracci
Congress must use its appropriations power to secure the border
- DOJ investigates Nebraska parade float critical of Obama
- Agency scrubs Malia Obama photos at White House's request: report
- A 'new Cold War': China's top paper warns of 'slippery slope' towards conflict with U.S.
- Violent gang MS-13 taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub
- Emeryville, Calif., police chief: Guns aren't for defense
- Pentagon's self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- New York City creates ID card so 500K illegal immigrants can get services
- Armed militia sets up Texas command center to 'fight for national sovereignty'
- CURL: The hypocrisy of Obama's 15-day Vineyard vacation
- Islamic State leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi formerly a U.S. captive
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq
World Cup's sexiest WAGs