Continued from page 1

The incident prompted NATO, Britain and France to recall hundreds of international advisers from Afghan ministries. The advisers are key to helping improve governance and preparing the country’s security forces to take on more responsibility ahead of the drawdown of Western forces planned for 2014.

The U.S. had already pulled its advisers from Afghan government offices. The Canadian government also canceled all meetings in Afghan ministries, according to a spokesman.

Police were still searching Monday for the suspect — an Afghan man who worked as a driver for an office on the same floor as the advisers who were killed, said an official at the Interior Ministry who spoke anonymously to discuss ongoing operations. Eight shots were fired at the men — two at the first victim and eight at the second, the official said.

The Taliban claimed that the shooter was one of their sympathizers and that an accomplice had helped him get into the compound to kill the Americans in retaliation for the Koran burnings.

The Taliban also claimed Monday that it had poisoned soldiers at a U.S. base in the east by recruiting a cook who worked there. NATO rejected the report.

“No one got sick,” said Lt. Col. Chad Carroll, a spokesman for international forces in the east. He said a dining facility worker told his superiors that food might have been tampered with, and when they ran tests, they found “traces of bleach in a couple of foods.”

“We do not know if this was intentional, if it was what the local worker was referring to, or whether it was simply spillage from cleaning,” Col. Carroll said.