In his seventh full NHL season, Gaustad is a reliable checking forward and a good face-off specialist. He proved expendable in Buffalo because he is in the final year of his contract and eligible to be an unrestricted free agent this summer. Gaustad has seven goals and 10 assists in 56 games this season.
The Sabres also acquired rookie center Cody Hodgson from the Vancouver Canucks for rookie forward Zack Kassian. Hodgson was the selected 10th overall in the 2008 draft and is playing his first full NHL season. As part of the deal, the teams also traded defenseman with Buffalo sending Marc-Andre Gragnani to Vancouver for Alexander Sulzer.
SAN JOSE, Calif. — The San Jose Sharks acquired forwards Daniel Winnik and T.J. Galiardi from the Colorado Avalanche for forward Jamie McGinn and two prospects. The trade gives the Sharks needed forward depth and a proven penalty killer in Winnik. The Sharks are the third-worst penalty-killing team in the league at 77.4 percent.
In other deals:
• The Columbus Blue Jackets traded checking-line center Samuel Pahlsson toVancouver for two fourth-round draft picks and minor-league defenseman Taylor Ellington. Pahlsson, 34, has two goals and nine assists with 22 penalty minutes in 61 games.
• The Minnesota Wild traded their longest-tenured player, defenseman Nick Schultz, to the Edmonton Oilers for defenseman Tom Gilbert. The franchise’s all-time leader with 743 games played, Schultz has appeared in at least 79 games in each of the past six seasons and played in all 62 this season. Gilbert had three goals and 14 assists in 47 games for the Oilers.
• The Boston Bruins acquired forward Brian Rolston and defenseman Mike Mottau from the New York Islanders. Rolston had been put on waivers, and he cleared Monday before the trade. Mottau was activated from the injured list Sunday after missing 26 games with a concussion.
• The Chicago Blackhawks shuffled their defense, picking up veteran Johnny Oduya from the Winnipeg Jets and sending John Scott to the New York Rangers. Oduya was acquired for a second-round and a third-round pick next year. Chicago took a fifth-round pick in this year’s draft from the Rangers for Scott.
• The Tampa Bay Lightning traded forward Carter Ashton to the Toronto Maple Leafs for defenseman Keith Aulis. Tampa Bay also acquired defenseman Mike Commodore from Detroit for a conditional seventh-round pick in 2013 and dealt defenseman Matt Gilroy to the Ottawa Senators for defenseman Brian Lee.
'Your papers, please' must never be heard in America
Independent voices from the TWT Communities
A mother of three and a passionate conservative, Shirley Husar changes the game.
Political satirist and Christian apologist Bob Siegel discusses religion and politics.
Benghazi: The anatomy of a scandal
Vietnam Memorial adds four names
Cinco de Mayo on the Mall