'Dancing with the Stars' names next celebrity dancers
“Family Matters” actor Jaleel White, singer Gladys Knight and National Football League player Donald Driver will be among the 12 celebrity contestants on the next season of the ABC dancing competition, according to the Associated Press. Other famous faces participating in the 14th edition include “The View” co-host Sherri Shepherd, singer-songwriter Gavin DeGraw, “Little House on the Prairie” actress Melissa Gilbert and Disney Channel star Roshon Fegan.
The new cast, which also includes tennis player Martina Navratilova, “Melrose Place” actor Jack Wagner, telenovela star William Levy, operatic singer Katherine Jenkins and “Extra” co-host Maria Menounos, was announced Tuesday on “Good Morning America.” The contestants will dance their first routines with their professional partners March 19 and March 26, and the first couple will be eliminated March 27.
Last season, actor J.R. Martinez and professional partner Karina Smirnoff took home the mirrorball trophy with reality TV star Rob Kardashian and partner Cheryl Burke coming in second place in front of former talk show host Ricki Lake and partner Derek Hough. Other previous champions include “Dirty Dancing” actress Jennifer Grey, Pussycat Dolls singer Nicole Scherzinger and gymnast Shawn Johnson.
Spader won’t return to ‘Office’ next season
NBC said Monday that Mr. Spader, who appeared in last season’s finale and more this year as the oddball boss Robert California, won’t be back next year, the Associated Press reports. NBC sought his star power to help make up for the absence of Steve Carell, who left the Thursday night comedy last spring.
Paul Lieberstein, the show’s executive producer, said NBC’s initial commitment to Mr. Spader was only for last year’s finale. But he said Mr. Spader’s scenes proved so compelling “that those two scenes became a season.”
Muslim lifestyles TV station dropped from Verizon lineup
The future of a Muslim lifestyles television station that survived its founder’s murder conviction is again in question after Verizon FiOS decided to drop it from the lineup.
Bridges TV General Manager Hunaid Baliwala said Monday that Verizon has told him the station’s viewership is too low and that, as of March 15, it will no longer be carried. According to the Associated Press, Verizon confirmed that it’s dropping Bridges TV, but noted that it is still available through the station’s website.
Bridges, an English-language station intended to foster understanding between the West and Middle Eastern and South Asian religions and cultures, is carried in more than two dozen markets, including the District, Los Angeles, Boston, Detroit and Dallas. Verizon FiOS, a fiber-optic network that provides Internet, phone and TV service, is the carrier in all but a handful of cities.
“If we had known something like this was happening, we could have done things to improve,” said Mr. Baliwala, who said Verizon gave the station one month’s notice and has not responded to his request for viewership numbers.View Entire Story
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
By James A. Lyons
By arming the rebels, we're aiding al Qaeda
Independent voices from the TWT Communities
Politics, economics, and business from a real world perspective.
An establishmentarian conservative, short on cash, but long on wisdom.
News and opinion from a Millennial Urbanite with Southern sensibilities,
World's Ugliest Dog Contest
Spelling Bee finale
Marines train Afghan soldiers
Rolling Thunder 2013
Benghazi: The anatomy of a scandal