- Running on empty: EPA slashes biofuel goals because of ethanol shortage
- ‘Gay Jeans’ that fade into rainbow-colored denim created
- Divided court strikes down big porn award
- Jimmy Carter: Don’t hurt Russian people with sanctions
- Oldest ex-MLB player dies in Cuba, 2 days shy of 103rd birthday
- ‘Top Gun’ for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy’s approval
- Bill Clinton to endorse Charlie Rangel for re-election
- Pfc. Bradley Manning is now Pfc. Chelsea Manning: Court says so
- Secret base U.S. special forces used to train Libyans now under terrorist control: report
- 9th suspect in N.C. kidnapping turns self in to FBI
Inside China: ‘Fierce of mien but faint of heart’
‘FIERCE OF MIEN BUT FAINT OF HEART’
The recently announced shift in the U.S. strategic emphasis toward the Asia-Pacific region represents a strategic bluff by a declining America against a rising China that will fail because China can defeat the U.S. militarily.
That’s the assessment of a leading spokesman for the People’s Liberation Army, as reported Tuesday in the state-run Chinese press.
Maj. Gen. Luo Yuan was quoted in a long interview first published in Guangzhou Daily and reprinted throughout China’s main media outlets, including Xinhua News Agency.
Gen. Luo is a prominent princeling whose father, Luo Qingchang, was Mao Zedong’s foreign intelligence and sabotage chief. He is one of the few high-ranking People’s Liberation Army officials allowed to make public statements on defense matters.
Known for his hawkish views and bombastic style, Gen. Luo has been a frequent source of comments on the United States in official publications such as the People’s Daily, the PLA Daily, Xinhua and the Global Times.
“America’s return to Asia-Pacific may well be a grave strategic mistake … the U.S., by so doing, has chosen a wrong time, a wrong place and a wrong adversary,” Gen. Luo was quoted as saying.
It’s a wrong time, Gen. Luo elaborated, because the current ethos calls for peace and development, not war. It’s a wrong place because America’s homeland is still under grave danger, and Washington is still bogged down in the crisis-ridden Middle East. It’s a wrong adversary because, by choosing China as a presumed nemesis, the United States has chosen an enemy it cannot defeat.
It is like a person in the folk tale who put up a sign saying “No 300 Taels of Silver Buried Here!” at the exact spot where he had hidden 300 taels of silver, Gen. Luo said, meaning a guilty person gives himself away by conspicuously protesting his innocence.
Gen. Luo went to great lengths in the long interview to analyze U.S. strategic vulnerabilities that he claimed render the Pentagon’s pivot to Asia-Pacific meaningless.
Topping his list are America’s continuing strategic focus on Europe despite recent Washington statements indicating otherwise; the gravely weakened U.S. economy, which will adversely affect the Pentagon’s military budget for beefing up forces in Asia-Pacific; and the lingering trauma inflicted on American society by the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan
“Today’s America,” Gen. Luo said, “is no longer able to extend all of its 10 fingers. It must retreat and clench the 10 fingers into a fist. This is what the Chinese call ‘fierce of mien but faint of heart.’ “
After dissing the United States, Gen. Luo predicted that a major military action in the South China Sea is “most likely” to occur this year as China’s “restraint” and “tolerance” over the South China Sea territorial disputes with several “little countries” will run out soon.
CHINA UPSET OVER TAIWAN
About the Author
Miles Yu’s column appears Fridays. He can be reached at email@example.com.
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- Inside China: Space technology, trade practices of China a concern for Latin America countries
- Inside China: Does active role of Chinese in search for missing Malaysia jet have a dual purpose?
- Inside China: Why Putin's intervention in Ukraine is bad news for China
- Inside China: Long march to Africa
TWT Video Picks
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Obama's veil of secrecy is pierced
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- Obama avoids 'red line' for China, prepared to impose tougher sanctions on Russia
- CURL: Obama's foreign policy even worse than his domestic policy
- Ukraine claims torture by pro-Russian forces on the heels of Biden's stern warning to Moscow
- Sold out: Ukraine's leadership swapped best military weapons for cash
- Jimmy Carter: Dont hurt Russian people with sanctions
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014