- Argentina beats Dutch in shootout to reach World Cup final
- Tanard Jackson suspended indefinitely by NFL — again
- FAA investigating fireworks drone flights
- Pentagon: We’ll give Obama a drone strike with al-Baghdadi’s name on it
- Marine in Mexican custody to get day in court after 101 days
- Senate OKs San Antonio mayor as housing secretary
- NFL star likely fooled by Marine impostor who accepted first-class plane ticket
- Sen. Ted Cruz tweets Obama directions from fundraisers to border towns
- Israel hits key Hamas targets in Gaza offensive
- Ten-year sentence for New Orleans’ Nagin on graft charges
Resale of the week: Reston Colonial with hardwood on 2 levels
Question of the Day
While visitors to Reston may head straight to Reston Town Center to restaurants, shops, the movie theater, the ice-skating rink in winter or an outdoor concert in summer, residents know one of the joys of living in this planned community is walking on its paths to admire the woods or one of the lakes.
Village centers offer local shops and restaurants within walking distance of many of the homes, and the community is dotted with swimming pools, tennis courts, basketball courts, soccer fields and miles of trails. Two community centers offer classes and space for dance and art studios.
Great Falls Crossing, a cluster of elegant single-family homes near Route 7 and Baron Cameron Avenue, has its own swimming pool, a tennis court, a clubhouse, a basketball court, a tot lot and walking trails. The community has a Fourth of July parade, a Halloween party, summer movie nights and adult social events in the clubhouse.
The home at 1307 Murray Downs Way in Reston, on a corner lot in Great Falls Crossing, is on the market for $773,900. This Colonial-style home includes a sunroom addition, five bedrooms, a fenced yard and more than 4,000 finished square feet on three levels.
An abundance of oversized windows visible from the front of the house offer a hint of the natural light found inside. The owners have added distinctive decorative accents throughout the home that will convey to buyers, including custom-designed window treatments and designer light fixtures.
The home includes a lawn that wraps around the front, side and back of the house, with mature trees and shrubs. The fenced backyard includes a stone patio accessible from the walk-out lower level and a wood deck off the sunroom on the main level.
Inside, guests are welcomed in a grand two-story foyer with an arched window above the wood front door. The main and second levels feature gleaming hardwood flooring, and the foyer includes a hardwood staircase with graceful wrought-iron railings.
To the left of the foyer is the formal dining room, which has crown molding, a bay window and columns that separate it from the foyer. The dining room has crown and chair-rail molding, a double window framing a view of the backyard and a contemporary-style light fixture that matches the living room’s fixture.
The back of the home has an open floor plan, including the center-island kitchen, a breakfast area, a sunroom and a two-story family room with a stone wood-burning fireplace and two skylights. The family room has a triple window facing the backyard, and the sunroom is wrapped in windows on two sides, with a glass door leading to the deck.
The kitchen includes a breakfast bar at the center island, granite counters, stainless steel appliances, white cabinets, a pantry and recessed and pendant lighting.
Near the kitchen is a first-floor study with built-in bookcases and cabinets. The main level also has a mudroom with stone flooring and built-in shelving and cabinets, and a custom-designed powder room with stone flooring and a vessel sink.
Double doors open off the hardwood hall on the upper level into the master suite, a generously proportioned bedroom with a cathedral ceiling and a ceiling fan. Double doors open from the bedroom into the luxurious master bath, which has a deep soaking tub set under a picture window, a cathedral ceiling, two vanities and a separate shower with a glass door. The master suite also has two walk-in closets with built-in shelving.
The upper level has three additional bedrooms that share a full bath off the hall. The bath has a double-sink vanity and a combination tub and shower. The second bedroom, which faces the backyard, has a double window, a double-door closet, a pink-and-white chandelier and charming decorative painting. The third bedroom, at the front of the house, has wainscoting, a double-door closet and two windows.
The fourth bedroom has been converted to use as a dressing room, with a built-in vanity and walls of clothing rods, a shoe rack and shelving in addition to a double-door closet. The room easily can be converted back to a bedroom.
The finished lower level has recessed lighting and includes a billiard table under a Tiffany-style lamp, both of which convey to the buyers. One wall of this game area includes a wet bar with a granite counter and multiple cabinets and wine racks. The game area has glass doors opening onto the patio.
TWT Video Picks
By Ted Cruz
Banning speech with a constitutional amendment is playing with fire
- GOP: Lerner warned IRS employees to hide information from Congress
- White House plans for bowling alley upgrades abruptly canceled
- GORDON: Russia plays its own game away from the World Cup
- ISTOOK: Flying illegals home would be 99.5 percent cheaper than Obamas plan
- Colorado man offers Obama a toke of marijuana a Rocky Mountain 'high'
- Obama requests $3.7 billion to fight surge of illegals
- Facebook allows 'Kill Kendall Jones' page, but deletes her game hunting photos
- EDITORIAL: Whats Obama hiding at illegal-alien 'refugee' camps?
- Malaysian MP not sorry for tweeting 'long live Hitler' after Germany win
- Islamic militants aim to take Baghdad airport
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq
World Cup's sexiest WAGs
U.S.-Ghana World Cup opener