- Strong quake hits Japan, triggering tsunami
- Sniper heaven: Pentagon’s self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- Violent gang taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub
- Medicaid enrollment continues to soar under Obamacare, administration says
- Michelle Obama to Latinos: ‘We cannot afford to wait on Congress’ for immigration
- White House urges GOP to act ‘urgently’ on $3.7 billion request for illegal immigrants
- Politicians, criminals using ‘right-to-be-forgotten’ law EU courts forced upon Google
- Combat fatigue: elite special forces troops are ‘fraying,’ Gen. Joseph Votel warns
- German foreign minister to meet Kerry to discuss spying claims
- Florida police spokesman tells citizens: ‘Get yourself some firearms’
`Designing Women’ star Potts takes on new role
Question of the Day
PASADENA, CALIF. (AP) - Former "Designing Women" star Annie Potts is connecting with her TV and family roots in the new ABC series "GCB."
Potts plays a Dallas socialite in the prime-time comedy-drama also known as "Good Christian Belles." She says she sees a lot of "my beloved Dixie Carter" in the show. Carter, who died at age 70 in 2010, starred with Potts in CBS' "Designing Women" sitcom that aired from 1986 to 1993.
Potts told the Television Critics Association on Tuesday that her "GCB" character, Gigi, also reflects Potts' own mother. Series executive producer Robert Harling is a longtime friend of Potts and called her mom, Dot, "magnificent."
Potts' mother died a year ago. With a smile, Potts said they can use all her stories in "GCB."
The series, which debuts March 4 on ABC, also stars Kristin Chenoweth, David James Elliott and Leslie Bibb.
Bibb plays Amanda, a former teenage "mean girl" who goes home to mom (Potts) after her marriage breaks up and has to readjust to a tough world of money and gossip.
The "GCB" title is a cleaned-up version of "Good Christian Bitches," the 2008 novel by Kim Gatlin that inspired the series. Harling said the series is a "love letter to Texas" and is about a faith-based group of people but not any particular religion.
TWT Video Picks
By Robert N. Tracci
Congress must use its appropriations power to secure the border
- Violent gang MS-13 taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub
- Pentagon's self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- A 'new Cold War': China's top paper warns of 'slippery slope' towards conflict with U.S.
- Michelle Obama to Latinos: 'We cannot afford to wait on Congress' for immigration
- PRUDEN: 'Dirty Harry' Reids increasing eccentricity
- Florida police spokesman tells citizens: 'Get yourself some firearms'
- New York City creates ID card so 500K illegal immigrants can get services
- Obama calls GOP lawsuit over executive overreach a 'political stunt'
- Bloomberg: Pro-gun towns must lack roads
- Veteran with concealed weapon turns tables on Chicago gunman
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq
World Cup's sexiest WAGs